Planes and Pau Rosa

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
philly, having watched your wooden plane video, i wonder whether you have any ideas about the best design for the wedge on an existing
plane??

reason i ask is that at least one of the ones i have inherited is knackered, so i need to make a new one, so what are we looking for in dimensions and so on.

more importantly, what woods should we consider working with since obviously the plane loses any value :)lol: :oops: ) for collectors.

also would you keep the blades if they are old, or replace them with new ones, like clifton or samurai???

paul :wink:

Tom
Not touching that one.....but thanks :lol:
Derek
Yes, actually I'd love to do this full-time and it is my goal :D Have a glance at www.phillyplanes.co.uk :wink:
Paul
Best design for a wedge? Copy the one that is in your plane - the wedge is a highly evolved part of your plane. Don;t make it too tight on the width or it could split the stock of the plane during the expansion/contraction cycle of things woody. Do go for an excellent fit - at least at the bottom of the wedge at a minimum. As for wood, I'd use the same as the plane (I assume beech?) And old irons are usually pretty good! Oh yes!
Hope this helps - come back for more if you get stuck.
Cheers
Philly :D

philly,
thinking about the wedge, how far down the slope is it best to set it??

you say copy the original, but how far from the cutting edge should the wedge be?

paul :wink:

Thanks again for the kind comments, Gents!
Paul - if you look down the throat of the plane you should see the bottom of the abutments (the surfaces the wedge butts against) are tapered away to the cheeks. The wedge matches this profile so make your new wedge, fit it and then copy the profile of the abutments onto the wedge. You then can waste away the lower centre area of the wedge.
Take a few shavings and see if they get caught on the wedge - it they don't you are home free, if they do it should be obvious where you need to relieve it.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back