Planer thicknesser problem, any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello there fellas,

Fired up my scheppach 260 this afternoon and things did not go well. First time I have used it for couple of months.

When trying to thickness a piece of oak the timber would not feed through the thicknesser at all and seemed to get stuck at the rubber roller.

I took the side off and all the pulleys and chains seemed fine a squirt or two with some light oil and still no luck in getting the machine working.

What could be wrong? Has anybody else had this type of problem before?

The manual which I have just had a look at is very poor and not much help.

Any help from members much appreciated. Thanks, Tony.

Hi Tony

I don't have the answer without seeing it, but I am happy to come and have a look to see if I can identify the problem. Just a thought you have engaged the lever in the correct position to give drive to the rollers haven't you? silly question I know but...

Alan

Thanks for the replies,

Jake, thats a good idea I will do that tomorrow.

Alan, I don't think it has one. I have used the machine the same way for sometime and it has worked well before. The manual really is useless, another quick look and no mention is made of a lever for activating the rollers. Thanks for the offer to have a look.

Joe, I think your right, the rollers look in good condition and are dusty dry.

I think Jakes point is a good one I will report back tomorrow.

Cheers, Tony.

Yeah Jakes right,i bet he hasn't looked on the joke thread yet!!!
Solicitors and all that :lol: :lol:

if the feed mechanism is definitely working, another issue that could have been overlooked - is your extractor clearing the chips effectively ? its possible that the chips could be wedging against the outfeed roller and stalling the feed

I would virtually guarantee that the bed needs lubricating. As has been mentioned clean the bed and give it a waxing, that should cure it. I have had the same problem in the past. :wink:

You could always PM Ed, I believe he has the same PT and is a fairly knowledgable chap.

Is the problem that your outfeed is not rotating at all? Have you tried unplugging and rotating all parts by hand?

Tony said,

Alan, I don't think it has one.

Tony you are quite correct, the later model 2600 you have doesn't have the disengaging lever like the 260 or the bigger brothers of your machine. Try cleaning and waxing the bed as the others advise.

Alan

If it doesn't have the feed disengage lever (mine does) then that's out. I assume there is a toothed belt that drives the rollers (although never actually looked tbh) so that could be broken. Can you see inside (with the bed right down) when its running and check if the rollers are going round?

Cleaning and waxing the bed is a good suggestion. The other thing I do is to clean the rubber rollers with lighter fuel to ensure they are grippy. When they get resin and dust on them they get less effective.

Cheers, Ed

If the machine is a HMS260 model with the clucth lever on the front to engage the feed rollers, you need to check that the yellow drive belt # 0501211 is actually driving the feed rollers, it may well be slipping, especially if you have not used the machine for a while, sometimes the belt may well stretch which in turn causes slipping, or it may be that the pulley #62005500 on which the belt runs is slipping due to wear on the bearings. This can be easily checked by taking off the gearbox cover.
this is perhaps the commonest problem and I wouls suggest checking this before oiling all the chains and mechanisms etc, which in turn causes other problems due to sawdust sticking to these parts.
This is usually why the feed rollers will not pull through any timber , the belt just slips and cannot pull the wood through without slipping.
Hope this helps
Any probs you cannot sort out give Allan a ring at NMA on 01484 400488 and he will be able to put you right.

menatnma

Tony
Are you feeding the wood in from the correct side :lol:.
(Don't laugh - I actually did this once (same machine) :oops: when I hadn't used it for a long time and couldn't work out why it didn't work!! We had just had a baby and I blame nappy brain!)
Cheers
Gidon

First establish if the rollers are infact revolving.
Get a torch out and with the machine running squat down and take a look.
I am not familiar with this m?c but, if the rollers are turning, ensure they have not become coated with resin....on metal rollers a wire brushing every now and then helps.
Next feed in some stock.
Do the rollers still revolve or stop?
If they stop...transmision problem with the drive.
If they revolve and the timber goes partially in then stops.......wax the table.
There could also be a cut out switch, if the m/c gets too hot..so take a look and make sure nothings blocked up.

That's the best I can do mate without taking a look at it for you.
Mike

Good news to report,

A good clean and wax of the thicknesser table with some Liberon lubricating polish seems to have done the trick.

I watched the black rubber roller slowly revolve as the timber passed through and after a couple of passes it was back to normal.

I think it could go a bit quicker, although the pace is even and the results very good.

Thanks for all your replies fellas, if I have this problem again I now know what to do. :D

I don't know which reply mad be chuckle the most, Gidon thinking I was at the wrong end or Andy suggesting I was a solicitor? :lol:

Cheers, Tony.

Back