Planer Thicknesser opinion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the joists have been designed to stand the weight and vibration.

Roy.

John Hale":2yezdsi9 said:
I'll bump this and renew the link now I'm not caught in the spam filter

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... hicknesser

Hi John,

Fox machines come from a company that make P/T's, table saws and the like for various other companies such as SIP and Itech, and for Diy or light trade use they are an excellent product for the money. So I have no doubt that at £299 you will get a fairly good machine. But I have to say that I follow Digit,s worry about the joist's, vibration and weight of the machine in a space that was designed for storage. At best it isn't going to do the ceilings in the bedrooms below much good, and I would not be surprised if you find a few hairline cracks in them in the near future.
Obviously it has been floor boarded out other wise you would be balancing you machines on the joist's themselves. But I do not suppose it has been strengthend with the view to turn it into a living space otherwise you would have stairs instead of the hatch.
Isn't there anywhere you can store the machine and use it outside when the weather permits?

Cheers

Mike

I might be able to store and use a small thicknesser and use it in the garden, but haven't anywhere for a bandsaw down stairs as to the loft the area which is boarded has another layer of joists as it were for added strength I guess we live in a bungalow and I think the previous owner used it as a workshop to as there were nails labled coping saw... and other tools in some areas.

John Hale":3nb6izh2 said:
I might be able to store and use a small thicknesser and use it in the garden, but haven't anywhere for a bandsaw down stairs as to the loft the area which is boarded has another layer of joists as it were for added strength I guess we live in a bungalow and I think the previous owner used it as a workshop to as there were nails labled coping saw... and other tools in some areas.

Ah well if its been strengthened that is a different story, and the bandsaw (which will not vibrate too much) should be alright anyway.

Let us know how you get on with the Fox.

Cheers

Mike

Digit":1zdyxp5n said:
Can you see any of the joists?

Roy.
Yep thats how I know there's a double layer

I've fitted a kitchen for mum, but have yet to see the colour of her money, so it may be a while before I get one and the bandsaw is more important at the moment as my little 3 wheeled job is giving up the ghost

Are those joists resting on a wall plate or other load bearing structure?
The reason I ask is I have seen instances when they have simply been screwed to the existing ceiling joists.

Roy.

Without looking I don't know I do know that the size of the room is bounded above internal walls brick built ones

I have a Kity 439 and it is a really nice planer thicknesser best of all it is relatively quiet with an induction motor.

Do all PT have such a motor?

I got mine from eBay for about £250.

I am not sure I would want to lift it through a loft hatch though!

Mick

Back