PLANER THICKNESSER/EXTRACTOR PACKAGE.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim0

Established Member
Reaction score
I have my eye on Axminsters Perform planer thicknesser/extractor package which looks a good deal at £400 but i have compared it with the Record Power PT260 and wondered which would be the best all round deal. I suppose what I really want to know is whether the Record Power is that much better than the perform that it justifies the higher price (£530) with no extractor? My woodworking is of the hobby variety with higher aspirations. Any Views???

Hi
Don't know if I can really answer your question because I have only used the perform planer thicknesser.
Anyway, fwiw, I bought this machine as my first planer a few months ago. It does a job, but its pretty ropey to be honest, difficult to adjust the table for depth of cut, poor thicknessing results etc etc. I really wish I'd waited and saved up a bit more for something decent, probably with three knives, maybe even two separate machines, a planer and thicknesser. As it is I rarely use this machine because the results are so poor - mind you I should probably replace the knives.
I guess the Record one is similar, and it can't be worse than the Perform, but it might just be worth saving up for something better.
Hope this helps
K

Hi jaffa,
The perform has got to be right for that money :) .
I was considering one a month back,less than 4 hundred on it's own.But once the cost went much higher(for the other metabo clones) i just bought a cast iron 3 blade model (£480-£600).
If i was looking today right or wrong i know for sure i would have bought the perform.I'm sure kirky must be being a bit hard (views) on the machine :) .

Jaffa - I have the same combo - but bearing the SIP label, which is essentially the same thing. For hobby use I have found it OK. Initially it was difficult to get the infeed and outfeed tables aligned as there was not enough adjustment on the grub screws, but I found a good work-around which has been fine.

For the money, and for occasional hobby use I think it's good value. If I was using it every day and my living depended on it, or if I was rich, I would buy a higher quality machine like the Scheppach or Jet.

Hi Jaffa,

I've also got the SIP combo. As Roger said it was difficult to get the tables aligned but once these are shimmed and everything is set up it performs very well. I get my replacement blades from axminster and have no trouble preparing my stock with it. At the price it seems good value and is reasonable manouverable around the workshop.

Steve

stevel":1vrao05r said:
Hi Jaffa,

I've also got the SIP combo. As Roger said it was difficult to get the tables aligned but once these are shimmed and everything is set up it performs very well. I get my replacement blades from axminster and have no trouble preparing my stock with it. At the price it seems good value and is reasonable manouverable around the workshop.

Steve

.... and maybe worth adding that the wheel kit is absolutely essential if you need to move it around the workshop! Particularly if you've used your T/S to cut the ends of your thumbs off! :oops:

Record are giving a way a DVD that shows why they believe their PT260 is better quality than similar looking machines, might be worth sending for one to have a look see.

Russell":2yxdnmmt said:
Record are giving a way a DVD that shows why they believe their PT260 is better quality than similar looking machines, might be worth sending for one to have a look see.
While the machine itself is very good the same can't be said for it's fence, it's total rubbish. The same goes for all it's clones. :(

Lord Nibbo":1h7hkied said:
Russell":1h7hkied said:
While the machine itself is very good the same can't be said for it's fence, it's total rubbish. The same goes for all it's clones. :(
This is my main problem with all these cheaper machines. The sip 6" planer/jointer I have has a cast iron fence which I must say is very sturdy but the motor is a bit of a brute and I don't feel it is that smooth. I really want to upgrade and see the combination as a good option for my space and purse. I know in my heart that I should do what 90% of people always suggest and save for a more expensive quality machine but I am so impatient (bet you have never heard that before :wink: and my worry is that I will go spend it before I have saved it. If I were to save for it what would be the suggestions as to what I should buy and in a combination or separates????

jaffajim0":1bbjv9j8 said:
If I were to save for it what would be the suggestions as to what I should buy and in a combination or separates????

Lyndhurst do a good 6" planer very cheaply, below is a link to their web site. I did have a Record PT260 but sold it and went down the seperates rout with a 8" Lyndhurst planer and the Axminster CT330 thicknesser.

With buying from Lyndhurst don't buy direct from their web site, they sell on ebay and their buy it now price is often much cheaper.

Here is a link to their site
http://www.lyndhurstwoodworking.co.uk/detail.php?id=227

Lyndhurst also do a good planer/thicknesser, take a look

Back