Planer knives.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Metabo HD 330 thicknesser, well pleased with it so no complaints there.
I'm at the stage where I will soon need to purchase a new set of knives.
Anyone any ideas as to where and the price?
My local supplier wants somewhere near to £25, is that reasonable?
I've Googled a lot of companies but Metabo stuff seems as rare as hen's teeth.

Roy.

332 mil. I've got a spare set that came with the machine, but as they are non-sharpenable I like to keep a set available in case I badly nick one at some time.

Roy.

£25 sounds quite reasonable, assuming they are HSS and not Coballt disposables? I payed Axminster just over £30 for three HSS blades 250mm long, a few months ago, as a way of comparison.

Well mate, I have a dewalt 733, AND it came with a spare set of blades, thanks Roy, you are a gent. :D

Rich.

Metabo thicknesser knives twelve months a go just under £25, today? just under £50! I left!

Roy.

I've found a supplier of Metabo knives at a lot cheaper price and they are listed as resharpenable.
The originals are disposable and located on pins, so cannot be sharpened.
Anyone any experience of this thicknesser at all?

Roy.

Digit":2xmm01w7 said:
I've found a supplier of Metabo knives at a lot cheaper price and they are listed as resharpenable.
The originals are disposable and located on pins, so cannot be sharpened.
Anyone any experience of this thicknesser at all?

Roy.

Not sure of this model , but be wary - some HSS disposables are marketed as "resharpenable" as they can be honed apparently - very misleading

Salvage

Best price so far is just under £39. I've also been checking the price of suitable sized HSS knives for other machines, apart from the simple cost I'm concerned about the future.
12 months ago under £25 from my local dealer, now nearly £50, what about next year?
I think some serious engineering mods are on the cards.
They are a fine machine, but if anyone else is thinking of buying one remember my cautionary tale!

Roy.

Try Method Tools, I've always had excellent service and prices from them - you may need the dimensions and details of any slots as their ability to know from machine model is variable IME.

They've had similar inflation, but possibly from a lower start level (can't be categoric as not comparing like for like). HMS260 HSS blades were just under £10 a pair about 18 months/2 years ago, and a month ago were £20. Bit shorter than yours, obviously.

Yeah, I've checked them out Mick.
I've decided that I'm gonna modify the machine to take re sharpenable knives.
I don't mind £50 quid for them, but I do not like £50 for disposables.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back