Planer/jointer what the difference?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeemax

Reaction score
Would like to start learning more about the world of woodworking as am still young and able, but american/english terms are different and confusing. Can anyone tell me the difference between planer and jointer and how it gets the wood square and if it is a worthy investment in the future (im sure i can measure and cut straight already). Project interests in the future would be kitchen cupboard, stairs etc. Cheers

An American Jointer is the same thing as a British Planer
An American Planer is the same thing as a British Thicknesser

I think.

Brad

Welcome Zeemax

zeemax":2u4ijz5n said:
(im sure i can measure and cut straight already).
The point is that the jointer will put an absolutely straight, square and smooth face onto a piece of wood. Necessary for things like gluing boards together with no gaps.

An absolutely worthwhile investment, I would be lost without mine now.

Welcome to the forum, Zeemax. (Have I been around long enough to be welcoming people?)

Ideally, you need a planer and a thicknesser. Then to machine a piece of rough sawn timber you firstly cut it to the length you require plus a bit. Then make one face perfectly flat on the planer. You can then machine the opposite face parallel to it on the thicknesser down to the correct thickness.

Back on the planer you plane one edge flat and square to one of the machined faces, and finally machine the opposite edge parallel to the planed edge, normally on the table saw followed by a couple of passes on the thicknesser to clean it up.

You now have a perfectly square, flat, smooth piece of timber to the correct dimensions once you have trimmed it to length.

Fortunately, you don't need two machines (although that would be ideal.) There are many planer/thicknessers available which do both jobs. I am sure you will be inundated with advice as to the best one to get.

For me, the important thing is how easy & quick it is to change between planer and thicknesser modes.

And yes, it would be a worthy investment for the future.

Cheers
Brad

Just to add my two cents since previous posts neglect to note that a thicknesser will not square lumber that is slightly twisted....such a board put through the thicknesser will come out planed but still with the twist. I wont get into sleds that can be used with a thicknesser to deal with this problem. Usually it is best for the novice to start with a planer & by the time he/she is ready for a thicknesser, they have learned how to square up an edge of a board with one face....twist gone & ready for a thicknesser to finish the job.

Lee

Latest posts

Back