Plane crazy??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
Visited an antique/brick a brack/junk shop today and of course there just had to be a dozen or more planes in various forms on the ground didnt there!!!! Sighhh......had to dig in, came out with a few goodies, I think :p

Picked up this foreplane with Marples blade for my new shooting board. Planed and flatened the sole and side to use on the board and added a side handle for ease of use (yes I know, I'd have preferred slotted screws too but havent got any long enough at the moment! :p)

7-2.jpg

8-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

10-2.jpg

Board is made of 3/4" ply base, 1" man-og-any flatform and the track is a laminated floorboard back, ripped a piece off on the bandsaw, provides a nice smooth track!.

The fence is of beech and has a secondary fence bolted onto it. Even though the main base is pretty good I wanted something I could shim to get exact 90/45's etc

Picked up a few molding planes and a rabbet plane.
4-2.jpg

First one is interesting, do you reckon that it was altered for 'scooping out' work? cant work as a molding plane anymore can it??
5-2.jpg

Got this blade then, figured it might come in handy for something, some new plane project, any ideas anyone?? What would it have come out of originally?
6-2.jpg

Then I picked up a good Rob Sorby 2" iron and cap iron that I had intended on using in a woodie project. However, when looking at a wreck of a No4 I was given (was gonna clean it up just for general, rough carpentry use) I tried the Sorby iron in it without the cap iron and it fitted! The lever cap seems to hold it pretty tight too! With the lateral adjuster adopted it sits flat against the frog too and actually planes wood pretty well! (with a very quick sharpen I gave the blade)

Has anyone ever tried to adapt a plane in this manner succesfully or should I let the idea go?? Cant remember ever seeing any images or talk of such a conversion, but surely someone has tried it?? Ok obviousy the height adjustment well is redundant as is the lateral adjuster but itd still be easier to adjust than a woodie I reckon. Although, perhaps a piece could be welded into the centre of the blade with a slot in it to allow for the height adjustment to be used?

1-4.jpg

2-4.jpg

Oh and I also got a little block plane too! :mrgreen: Nice thick blade in it, looks to have been never used (no hammer marks anywhere). Its marked 'Foreign' on the blade and body.

3-3.jpg

Think thats all......... (hammer)

Shooting plane look good - you might consider removing the tote, which was almost certainly fixed with animal i.e. reversible glue.

On your Sorby-bladed Stanley; yes, I see these occasionally. They should cut nicely, due to the excellent blade, but you lose all the Bailey adjustment mechanisms.

If you're going to have a plane without the Bailey adjustments, you might as well have a woodie (or a non-Norris infill)

BugBear

Ahhh, user-made shooting board. How I love thee. =D>

Without checking the books, the "scooping" round looks like a user modification for a particular job, yup. The little blade also looks like it might be user-made - the unevenly clipped corners suggests that to me anyway. Using old woodie irons in Stanleys etc used to crop up a little more often, but these days with such a wealth of replacement irons available that still leave you able to use the adjustments, it's died out. No reason not to use it if you're happy with it though. And finally, just 'cos it's a block of wood, it's not a block plane ;) It's a coffin smoother. Looks clean enough, but I can never remember just when tools were being stamped with that damning term "Foreign".

Good haul; you're picking up speed very nicely there. :D

The terms "Foreign" and "Foreign Made" first cropped up on German made goods during the post WWI years due to anti-German feeling in the British Isles.

Alf":345v5b8a said:
It's a coffin smoother.

It was used for smoothing coffins??!! :shock:

:p

Cheers for the info guys. Yeah the small blade has uneven corners, I thought it might have either been incredibly old (back before the knew what uneven corners were) or a quick job made to suit a particular job.....I'm leaning towards the latter! :lol:

Oh, and I have a second hand 5 1/2 Clifton secured :wink:

CroppyBoy1798":jpe1d6x4 said:
It was used for smoothing coffins??!! :shock:
In case you didn't realize (but you probably do) it refers to the curved shape of the plane body - Rob

SammieQ":riha7wb3 said:
Croppy - wherezis shoppe? I am not too far from you and I wouldn't mind a 'delve' when visiting relatives. Sam

Hi Sam, its in Kilkenny city, on the main street :wink:

I understand the coffin thing :D , when I heard it first I thought thats what they were for! #-o

Interesting matthewwh! :)

The plane in the middle here...

4-2.jpg

...could be very useful as a scrub. I have two with this side curved profile and have found them to be easier to control than a flat soled scrub - you can adjust the tilt of the stroke to adjust the depth of the cut.
Speaking of which, I don't think the first plane pictured is a foreplane.It's more like a jointer. I think foreplane is another term for scrub - like the first plane to use 'fore all the others; according to R. Underhill that is...

Thanks Croppy, I was down that way not too long ago and I'm sure I can prize myself away from 'the cousins' long enought to go hunting.

Rob, I know EXACTLY what you mean! The wee 'dusty' I got from you is still doing a sterling job!

Happy Sawdust everyone!

Sam

I think the compass moulding plane is very interesting - my guess is a cartwright / wheelwright tool, to profile the inner rim - the workmanship on the high-end carriages was quite something before cars etc came along. Good find!

I have a wooden jack knocking around waiting to be cleaned up and reading this has given me the idea that it may well get a bit of customization! :wink: !
Is that a pretty standard design for the handle on the side of the plane or just something you came up with?..... i'm thinking maybe something removable with threads sunk in the plane body?

Back