Places to visit in Europe with beautiful woodwork & carv

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Going for a whistlestop tour of europe in a week or two. Can anyone think of any places to visit in the following areas... Paris, Genoa, Verona, Nice, Switzerland, Berlin, Prague.

Anything that might be inspirational or just beautiful would be cool.

Thanks,

Gary

in most places go looking at the old churches, and in particular the cathedrals, they are always good for carving, in some cases only stone,
others the altar pieces etc.

in switzerland, there are various churches also, including the one in zurich with the stained glass windows. also towns like friebourg have some really nice older churches. most swiss and german town have wooden buildings as town halls etc.

aachen is good, nice "drome" (trade term for cathedral) and great bier kellar near rathus

many german churches when restored post 1945 had reformation and
other wooden pieces.

remember grinling gibbons was from a dutch background, and many dutch churches may well have nice things to look at.

also in geneva for instance the museum used to be (not been there for about 5 years) one where you can touch and feel things.

in paris visit les invalides the army museum, some nice old weapons and carved shields etc.

in germany, nuremburg, certainly, and also i understand many of the
ex-east german towns like wiemar have both castles and churches to look at.

southern france "midi" looks good around carcasonne.

hope that helps, but tell us what you are really looking for.
paul :wink:

ps check out many of the graveyards.

Neuschwanstein was already on my list, I am really looking forward to it.

What about the Grinling Gibbons Cosimo Panel? (sp?) Isn't this somewhere in Italy although I remember hearing something about an explosion/fire? His work is truely stunning and I would like to see more examples like that. But Churches/Cathedrals are always a good start.

Gary

Back