Pitched Roof Definition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafkaian

Established Member
Reaction score
I've searched for this colleagues but cannot find a result as such, but for the purposes of shed/workshop building and planning height, my planning guide refers to a pitch roof (4m max) and flat roof (3m max). I'm not worried about size and distance from house/highway so have no planning issues or Building regs to worry about other than my dictionary refers to a pitch roof as either:

a)
6. The point where a declivity begins; hence, the declivity
itself; a descending slope; the degree or rate of descent
or slope; slant; as, a steep pitch in the road; the pitch
of a roof.
[1913 Webster]
or b)
pitched roof
n.
A two-sided sloped roof having a gable at both ends. Also called gable roof.

Now in my garden a 4m A-frame 2-sided pitch is going to be too imposing but I'd like a single-sided slope. From those in the know, is a single sided pitch of ~ 13° acceptable to Planning as a "pitched roof"?

I'll ring Planning/BC tomorrow to find out locally, but I'd like to know the consensus having seen some of the monsters on here I feel fairly confident that I can get away with a building that might be considered about 3.2m maximum height with a single slope that doesn't take the structure beyond the 3m flat roof limitation.

Decisions, decisions!

My understanding is that as long as it is no more than 4mts from the highest part of the surrounding land,then you are ok.Thinking about it now though,it's not so simple is it?I can't see why a flat roof that goes above 3mts would be a problem when you can have a 4mt pitched roof but i would check anyway.As i have said on another thread,just had building control at my house because someone complained about my workshop build.I was ok but it's best to be on the safe side.I would check.

skipdiver":2vseviy3 said:
My understanding is that as long as it is no more than 4mts from the highest part of the surrounding land,then you are ok.Thinking about it now though,it's not so simple is it?I can't see why a flat roof that goes above 3mts would be a problem when you can have a 4mt pitched roof but i would check anyway.As i have said on another thread,just had building control at my house because someone complained about my workshop build.I was ok but it's best to be on the safe side.I would check.
Thanks skipdiver. You just never know how they interpret the rules. "Surrounding land" is another interesting one, the neighbours at the back of me are about half a metre down already and another reason I don't want to push it!

skipdiver":3hwd0289 said:

Actually just measuring up, with the slightly raised foundations and a 2.5m frame, I'm looking at maximum 2.8m from highest part of the flat roof to the bottom part of the slope. But my BC are funny. My garden slopes slightly at the rear so isn't as high as the back door by a good metre or more I suspect, but I still reckon BC would have a go given the small plot. Even 3m looks imposing. I might play it safe and go for a 2m side frame and just put a small ridge roof on. Hmmmm.

The actual provision is:

(d) the height of that building or enclosure would exceed—

(i) 4 metres, in the case of a building with a ridged roof; or

(ii) 3 metres, in any other case;

Parliamentary draftsmen- they're pretty good actually.

Jake":3bm657ug said:
The actual provision is:

(d) the height of that building or enclosure would exceed—

(i) 4 metres, in the case of a building with a ridged roof; or
(ii) 3 metres, in any other case;

Parliamentary draftsmen- they're pretty good actually.

Is that from a white paper or official regs Jake? So where Brum have defined pitched roof that allows for interpretation, you seem to be saying ridged roof which is not open to interpretation unless you count a slope with one sheer end as part of the ridge :wink:

I'll give 'em a ring but pretty sure I know which one I'll plump for. I suppose a 2.9m side wall building with a pitched roof bringing it less than 4m total height is aesthetically better than a max 3m sloping alternative. But the cubic difference seems a lot to me. I'll be out with a 3m gauge stick later to see how it looks.

Kafkaian

A roof that only slopes one way is often known as a pent roof.

Dennis

dennis":1p99gfdy said:
Kafkaian

A roof that only slopes one way is often known as a pent roof.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. So Shulzy's shed is a pent roof?

yo6q2s.jpg

Regards

Ian

Well that's great. Hopefully my local BC officer will know what I mean when I tell him/her. The height of Shultzy's does look slightly higher than my mock up. I bet his neighbours complained :wink:

Mine will

Ian, yes mine is a pent roof. I decided on this construction as it satisfied Swimbo :D and doesn't make the structure too high. The hight is made up of the following from the slabs upwards:-

3" blocks
4" joists
3/4" floorboards
7' frames
18" to 6" sloping truss (slope is about 7degs)
3/4" plywood + felt

=110" = 2.8m so another 8" available

The road I live on slopes 17degs so any shed appears a lot higher when viewed uphill. There is a 12" drop from the slabs on to the path by the fence. The neighbours fence you can see is 5' 6" tall and the top of the shed is 4' 6" above that. Nobody has complained yet.

Shultzy":70300cqs said:
Ian, yes mine is a pent roof. I decided on this construction as it satisfied Swimbo :D and doesn't make the structure too high. The hight is made up of the following from the slabs upwards:-

3" blocks
4" joists
3/4" floorboards
7' frames
18" to 6" sloping truss (slope is about 7degs)
3/4" plywood + felt

=110" = 2.8m so another 8" available

The road I live on slopes 17degs so any shed appears a lot higher when viewed uphill. There is a 12" drop from the slabs on to the path by the fence. The neighbours fence you can see is 5' 6" tall and the top of the shed is 4' 6" above that. Nobody has complained yet.

Thanks S,

I too have gone for a pent roof and have a week to get the structure up. It's only small as my garden won't allow for a big size but the 4m high pitched roof would've made it turn out like something from the Adams Family or The Munsters :lol:. In the end it will also allow me to experiment with a sedum roof using at a 9.5° pitch. Still, will be great as my electronics lab once I've got the reg'd electrics sorted.

Shultzy":2e4k3ldk said:
Ian, I look forward to the WIP's. If you make the frames "flat-packed" like mine it's easier to keep covered if it rains.
That's what I did. :D

Broke my back mind moving them around :oops:

Anyway the first stage is done, I have made the four sides and will post some jpg's when I get the chance.

Back