Pitch Pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given 4 lengths of Pitch Pine removed from an old hall that is being converted into a house. The lengths measure 6ft long by 4" x 4" flaring out at the end to give enough for 4 bowl blanks 6" x 4".
What will the pine turn like? Is it too soft for turning.

Theoretically you should be able to turn any wood. I have turned some old pitch pine and the end grain was a real *** to finish but the smell was fanastic. It can be done but unless the wood has some really nice grain it's debatable whether it's worth the effort. Ideal for praticing your cuts. As someone said to me 'If you can get a good finish in pine you can get a good finish in anything'

Pete

Hi there,

I like Pitch pine and have been working it quite a bit recently. It can be quite brittle - so I'd keep a nice simple flowing shape. I've turned spindles and done a little faceplate work with it. I'd say it was worth a good go. If you can get a good tool finish - it will save you clogging all your abrasives up! As the name implies it can be quite pitchy :)

As Pete said the smell is awesome.

Happy turning
David

Thanks for you comments. I know what you mean about the smell. I cut some today on bandsaw and it smelt just like the smell of walking in a pine forrest. :oops: Sounds very poetical 8)
I think i will try some bud vases, if it can be brittle i might also try goblets but go easy on the stems. I will look forward to the challenge of the finishing!!!

From my experience, you'd be very lucky (or a lot better turner than I am!) to turn a goblet from old pitch pine. As others have said, it's incredibly brittle across the grain and pieces fly out at the least provocation.
But good luck :D

I dont consider myself a good turner. I am a complete beginner, thats why i want to get information about what i can use this pine for. After finding out that it can be brittle then i will only turn Chunky stuff 4" x 4" but what? Help. I need some suggestions.

I have made a couple of thick bowls, a platter and some twig pots in pine. All fairly simple to make and finish.

Pete

Hi Bodrighy
You say twig pot, is that the same as a bud vase. Cut a vase shape then bore a hole into centre. As the majority of the Pine is only 4 inch square i will have plenty of practice at getting one right.

A twig pot, bud vase all the same thing. SWMBO puts twigs in them...tends to grab them whenever I make them 'cos she thinks they're cute.

This one is 3 1/2" tall 1" dia. made of spalted (rotten) hazel found in the woods. Twig is a couple of pieces of twisted hazel

This one is 2" tall, 3/4" dia made of uknown branch wood (from the woods again) she put reeds in this one

EDIT oops forgot the image

Pete

Latest posts

Back