Pine!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the first piece of Pine i've turned like this.
Not sure i enjoyed it or not.
Is this because it was just a piece of Pine.
I don't think i'll be rushing to do another piece in Pine :roll:
What do you think. :?: :?:
100mm High x 80mm dia bowl.Sanding sealer and wax finish.

Paul.J.

Hello Paul,

You are to be commended on your Pine goblet! :D Pine can be difficult to turn with a nice finish, but you made it look easy. I rarely turn Pine, but I really like turning Pine burrs. They make excellent pens and bottle stoppers. The colours rival many of the hardwood burrs as well. Thanks for sharing your project and all the best to you and yours!

Thanks Steve.
I am shocked at your comments,in agood way. :D
Didn't think it was that good a piece.
Just thought i would try the piece of Pine as it's been laying round for ages.
Paul.J.

Hi Paul

Like the goblet.

I don't like turning pine but I do like the finished item some of it can be very colorful, especially Monkey Puzzle.

john

Nice shape and form Paul. I think your saying you don't think much of it, because it is pine.

Wait for a few months and the wood takes on the normal honey colour of aged pine, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Well done

Thanks John/Tam.
TEP wrote
I think your saying you don't think much of it, because it is pine.
Sort of Tam.
I have never really enjoyed working with new Pine,and i just got the same feeling when turning this piece today.
On saying that i do enjoy working with old Pine.
I have made several pieces of furniture in the house using old Pine and found it more pleasureable to work with if that makes sense :shock:
Paul.J.

One of the first pieces that I turned was a spalted pine bowl. When I showed it on here I was told that it was difficult to get a good finish on pine due to the soft grain. Your goblet is really good and it makes a refreshing change from all the exotics that we see.

P.S. There is always a plentiful supply of free pine as well. Don't try turning it if it has resin however unless you are prepared to spend forever cleaning your tools and lathe aftrwards. :lol:

Cheers Dave/Pete/Andrew
WYBI wrote
i always like the way the grain shows up.
I suppose really that that is all it as going for it,and the smell :shock:
Paul.J.

Back