Pine Computer Desk -Completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still doesn't answer why you don't need guards on pistol type drills tho. Surely hair is just, if not more. likely to fall onto a chuck when drilling horizontally.

Matt.

I always thought that you sighted down a hand power drill to keep it in alignment - that puts your head behind the drill, doesn't it? If you are leaning over it the way you describe why isn't your hair in a net? And how do you ever manage to drill a true hole?

Scrit

always thought that you sighted down a hand power drill to keep it in alignment - that puts your head behind the drill, doesn't it? If you are leaning over it the way you describe why isn't your hair in a net? And how do you ever manage to drill a true hole?

Suppose it depends what your doing, hard to sight down a power drill when fixing skirting for example. And as far as i know, it's not a H and S regulation to wear a hair net when drilling, but i might be wrong.

Matt.

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread under general woodworking for health and safety discussions?

Matt.

Not just hair - ties, shirt sleeves, and even some (protective!) gloves also get snagged in moving parts (drills/lathe chucks/bandsaw blades etc) and then "drag" the user in/toward the sharp bits....

Mike

Mike B":15b6vqdi said:
Not just hair - ties, shirt sleeves, and even some (protective!) gloves also get snagged in moving parts (drills/lathe chucks/bandsaw blades etc) and then "drag" the user in/toward the sharp bits....

Must be posh tradesmen where you are - ties indeed!!!!! The dress code with machines is short sleeves (not rolled up) or close-fitting cuffs and jackets, etc buttoned up. That's why machinists either wear overalls or lab coats in engineering shops. It's just common sense, really.

Scrit

ok i am not an expert, but seems to me that the chuck on a
cordless, or even a corded drill is always in front of your hands, and thus
by definition, your hair.
whereas, on a pillar drill, in most cases, you are trying to centre a drill on
a piece of material which is not accurately placed or held, until you
have centred it. even in a vice, until you have pushed the actual drill
bit down, you cannot be sure that it will go where you want. in past workshop experience, people then tend to press the on button whilst their
head is quite near to the shaft, then you get problems with flapping
clothing, rings, watches, or hair.

we had to wear aprons, and make sure any ties were well below the
top of that, indeed it was recommended even in those far off days not
to wear ties in the workshop. to this day, i wear my watch on the right
wrist although i am right handed, because when you work a normal lathe, the chuck is at the left end, and when you are draw filing for instance on a metal lathe( using a file to put a smooth finish on a rotating bar)
then the chuck is likely to catch the watch strap, and if it does not
strip off your skin into what they called de-gloving, when the
strap broke it bloody hurt. you only do it once :cry: :cry:

the other thing, drill chucks that take keys have odd shapes around which can catch you, whereas keyless chucks are much less dangerous for protrusions.

i do agree though that we should have more H&S details on the forum.

paul :wink:

Blimey :shock: I only wanted you to comment on the desk :D

Did anyone notice it? It was next to the drill without a guard on it..... :D

Lee.

syntec4":3sdwb2l7 said:
Blimey :shock: I only wanted you to comment on the desk :D

Did anyone notice it? It was next to the drill without a guard on it..... :D

Lee.

I thought I saw a hifi unit in that picture you posted :)

whoops sorry lee
yes the desk was actually pretty good, but you know how this
thing goes of at a tangent :lol: :oops: :oops:

does it work though( the desk that is?)without the guard and
safety switches :?

paul :wink:

devonwoody":12mwhv3o said:
I thought I saw a hifi unit in that picture you posted :)

Yeah there is... Don't tell anyone, but the speakers are not wired in accordance with 'part P' :)

Did anyone actually do any woodwork this weekend? :?

Lee.

Agree with much said re guards and particulary long hair and drilling machines. As an ex-technology teacher in a past life, guards were always used on pillar drills, together with goggles and no ties ( kids didn't need much encouragement to take them off :D), cuffs rolled up past the elbow.
In my shop now I don't have a guard on the pillar drill as its a real pain to use with it in place, though I have been using a Trend Airshield over the last couple of weeks which ought to keep all the nasty bits away from the face - Rob

Latest posts

Back