pincers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks pretty much every pair of pincers I have ever used have had a claw for nails at the end of one handle and a rounded knob at the end of the other handle. These usually get referred to as Carpenters Pincers. I understand the claw for small nails, but what if any, is the purpose of the rounded knob. I've searched the web and not found a satisfactory answer. You can see what I'm talking about in the image above.
pincers.jpg

On some models the rounded knob is slightly more pronounced.

Folks pretty much every pair of pincers I have ever used have had a claw for nails at the end of one handle and a rounded knob at the end of the other handle. These usually get referred to as Carpenters Pincers. I understand the claw for small nails, but what if any, is the purpose of the rounded knob. I've searched the web and not found a satisfactory answer. You can see what I'm talking about in the image above. View attachment 144803

On some models the rounded knob is slightly more pronounced.
I've always called them nail pullers, or nail puller pincers.
Just a guess - the round knob tells you by feel where the end of the handle is?

I have several old pincers some have the nail puller and ball ends and some have neither just rounded off at the end's.

It might just be that both arms of the pincer are made on the same tooling (efficiency and cost drivers), and one of them then pressed to create the claw.

The guy who worked for us in the maintenance department who was an old plumber he also did any glazzing work needed used his pincers to nibble the glass edges and the ball end was used when he had scored the glass with a cutter he would tap the glass underneath and the glass would fracture along the score fantastic to watch

I was given a pair of these at Christmas 61 years ago when I was 7. Still got them and never wondered about that question to this day! Often wondered why they often cause me pain though when using them.

I was taught that the ball was used when a nail broke as it was pulled, to place on the broken end and use a hammer to drive it below the surface.

Back