Pin gun advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a reliable and good quality pin gun?

I'm guessing that I'll probably only use it for jobs like MDF torsion box shelving and attaching beading. So nothing too powerful is needed.

I haven't got a compressor, so is there a good electric one available? (It looks wildly expensive once you start adding a compressors into the equation, am I right?)

I've already looked at Tacwise products, but I'm getting the impression from various reviews that they're plainly rubbish.

Any views on the Maestri ME30 pinner?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

I am not sure what the better quality electric ones are like, but I had a cheap electric one and it was useless. It also broke after about 18 months after buying it, having only been used for a few hundred nails. Bearing in mind that I was only using it to assemble beekeeping frames, which were cheap softwood, each pin needed a tap with a hammer to knock it fully in. It would regularly send 2 or 3 nails together which looked a mess, and would leave a massive hole when the needed pulling out to start again. I cant remember the make, but it was about £20- I guess that at this price they are much of a muchness.

I replaced it with an air driven one, by Silverline. This was about £30, running off a £100 or thereabouts compressor. It is in a different league. Again, I am only using it for the same job, and this is not an all day every day task. I cant tell you about how it would stand up toi such use- if I was using it professionally, I would probably have gone for/coul have justified a branded one.

A compressor is a pretty handy thing to have around- true it make the price of a nailer expensive, but if you have one, you can get a whole range of tools and write the cost off. For example, creosoting the fence- a cheap spraygun is cheaper than the cupronol one, and is far easier than brushing it on. There are many other tools and tasks where it come in useful. Just beware of non standard fittings on Chinese ones. I wasnt aware of this, and had to adapt it!

I've had an ME30 for at least 10years works a treat. You do have to make sure you hold it firmly onto the surface when driving the longer (30mm) pins into MDF or Hardwood otherwise it can leave the head slightly pround.

Jason

If you can be tempted down the compressor route then it really is worthwhile. I bought a small Clarke one several years ago and have two pinners for lightweight use (glazing bars etc) and a slightly heavier duty one. But the ability to blow stuff away so simply makes it a real boon.

I do also have a DeWalt finishing nailer and that has been pretty reliable although not had that much use.

If you want a really good pinner you won't go wrong with "Omer" but they are pricey.

I tried various electric pinners - corded and not (although I haven't tried the one you refer to).

None of them worked very well.

I bought a cheap Stanley compressor from Screwfix and a couple of Bostitch guns - an 18g brad nailer and 23g headless pinner. Both are excellent.

Cheers

Karl

I had a variety of Tacwise pinners, cordedd and cordless and they were all rubbish. I finally caved about 5 years ago and bought the Spotnails SE30/08 veneer pinner and it's excellent; similar to the Maestri but a bit cheaper. Use it within it's limits, obviously - for moulding and skinning floating shelves etc... it's ideal.

Compressors are useful fo sure - wouldn't want to be without mine, but then I wouldn't want to lug it up three flights of stairs to pin some moulding, either; different tools for different jobs, right?

HTH Pete

I bought one of the B&Q specials a few years ago that came with a small compressor. I still have the small compressor but don't use it but I do still use the gun on my larger compressor in my workshop, it works great considering it is a cheapy. I do keep it oiled regularly as you should with air tools. I also have a large air framing nailer and the De Walt finish nailer which are also good guns. HTH.

Great. Thanks for all of your advice. As such, I'm now erring towards the compressor route. I've seen a cheap and compact Bambi model and there are a fair few 2nd hand Bostich 18g nailers out there for a decent price.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Karl

I usually use compressed air for all my nail guns, but got stuck on site today and nipped to toolstation and picked up a Tacwise pin gun. Seems fine for £40 or so, did what I needed and saved a fair few hours of my time.

I was going down the same route as you, decent gas nail guns are 350.00 - 450.00

A member on this forum pointed out I can get a new compressor and nailgun from Axminster for 150.00 and I'll use the compresser for blowing out and small spray jobs

I am looking at other options as I am not convinced that the Axminster stuff is good quality but i still expect to get a nail gun and compressor for 150.00 to 180.00

J

I managed to get a barely-used Bambi HP3-2P compressor for £200 off ebay. And also a 2nd hand bostitch 18g pin gun for £35. Still waiting for the gun to arrive, but I'm pretty sure I made the right decision; the compressor will be useful for other tasks too like you say.

Karl

Back