Pillar drill - Record vs Sealey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prezio

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I plan to buy pillar drill - it's time;)
And I'm thinking between:
- Record Power DP58P (floor standing)
- Sealey PDM170F (floor standing as well)
the difference with the prices is 100
The power for Record is higher - 800W
May i ask you for any opinion/feedback about both of these machines? Please
Which one is better?

A second hand Meddings would probably come well under the price of either and be infinitely superior. There will be someone close by you on the forum who will have one I would think that can let you have a play with one. There really is no comparison for accuracy, run-out and overall build quality.

Alternatively a Startrite drill is also an excellent investment and bullet proof build quality. Not as big or as heavy as a Meddings it's easily accommodated. I had a Startrite Mercury 5 speed before I bought the Meddings, only upgraded as I want edge a deeper throat.

The Record specifications say that it has a 20mm deeper throat 190mm v 170mm , Record have a decent reputation for customer service, I do not think motor power is a major factor at this level of drill - its well above the cheapest low power pillar drills.
They both have a spindle travel of 80mm - this I think is fairly standard at this level .
I would keep an eye on Axminster - their trade series AT2801FDP looked like a good buy at 215mm throat but not in stock = maybe give them a ring to see if they will be back in stock - or if there is one available online stock check suggests there may be one available.

My Meddings (MB4) has a 193mm throat - but a massive 127mm spindle travel .

As you are in Scotland its likely that finding a decent older drill would take some time/luck , and they can be massively heavy so no shipping second hand - generally double the weight of the modern drills.
There is also the need to check them electrically and the risk of needing spares - they do actualy wear out if abused,
spindle taper might still be available from Meddings but fir the others Fobco, Startrite - no hope.

I was thinking about Axminster but "Out of stock. This product is no longer available." ;(
1 is available but 300 miles from me and they can not send it to me I need to collect it personally;(

A forum member has just renovated two Fobco drills, they look brilliant, he's planning on selling one on eBay, I've posted on his thread he should contact you, and equally have a look at his thread and drop him a PM or email. Fobco made brilliant drills. A brand I had forgotten to suggest. There are lots of threads on their restoration / clean up.

While that is an interesting thread, I'm not sure of the relevance here. :D

prezio, given that you're looking for a floor standing drill I'm not sure my Fobco will suit you. It is the bench version with the morse taper spindle so not ideal for woodworking due to the reduced working height. If you do want any info then just PM me. I'll be putting up a thread in the Projects section at some point but I'm away this weekend.

Cheers.

post993855.html#p993855

Yes you right - I'm looking for woodworking and floor standing (more suitable for work for me).
Thank you for contact.

Latest posts

Back