Pillar drill chuck runout.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
For a while I've been concerned with the runout of the chuck on my largest pillar drill. Thought about buying a replacement until I saw the prices for a half decent one! So decided to have a look at the existing one.

After a bit of a battle with wedges and a large hammer I got the chuck off. Checked the spindle for runout and disappointed to find there was a small amount, but nowhere near as much as I'd experienced when the chuck was fitted.

So, in a light-bulb moment, I wondered as the chuck and the spindle each have runout maybe by finding and fitting in the right positions one would cancel out the runout of the other?

Only one way to find out.

After a few tries of different positions it worked! I now measure about 0.003" which for my use is very acceptable. :)

Well done that man!

I've recently been there too, with a 'gert posh' Röhm keyless chuck for small drills. It turned out the chuck-to-taper was the issue, and a bit of fettling with a file (removing a lip at the bottom of the screw thread) has now got it running pretty nicely.

I only realised it was do-able when I fitted a much larger chuck and noticed the runout had all but disappeared for practical purposes.

Ho hum.

E.

Latest posts

Back