Pillar drill buying advice- not a vague query this time!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoonsbySven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm on the hunt for a pillar drill.
I'm tempted to go for an Ajax or a Meddings that are both on sale for £130. They both look to be of similar vintage- approx. 20 years old.

I know that Meddings drills have an excellent reputation, but does this apply to the newer models? What about Ajax?

Also, they're both about 3 hours drive away, so will have to factor that into the cost. Is £130 reasonable?

Advice/ opinions as always, appreciated.
Cheers,
Sven

I recently changed my bench pillar drill and ended up choosing one because it was local (a Startrite Mercury). I think it is sound advice to get in front of it and check, particularly quill bearings (no / minimal play). I also came to suspect that the tables with the most big holes in belonged to the carelessly-used drills (not very scientific, that). I'd have gone for a Meddings or Fobco but there were none reasonably close. V happy indeed with the Startrite though (ex-clockmaker, very sound indeed).
From all my hunting (just a couple of months ago) I'd say 130 was very good for a decent (technically sound) Meddings. Sorry, don't know the Ajax so well. I always feel with machines like this - get a decent one and you'll always get your money back, maybe plus some.

Back