Pillar drill buying advice, Bosch PBD40?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a benchtop type pillar drill, it won't get much use and 99% of that will be woodworking so doesn't need to be anything amazing.

I quite like the look of the Bosch PBD40, am I right in thinking a couple of weeks ago on Amazon it was about £100 cheaper than it is now? Do these offers come around often?

The Scheppach equivalent looks to get some poor reviews, happy to go with that though if people think it's okay?

I was looking at spending up to about £200, any other recommendations? I know I won't get anything great for that, I'm generally a real tool snob but as I say it won't get much use.

I need it soon so can't wait for something to turn up on Ebay and don't want to be driving all over the country to pick something up, just want to order online and get it delivered next day if you know what I mean.

Any experience appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug

Do you already have a good corded power drill? The more powerful the better and it needs a Euronorm 43mm diameter drive unit and a lock for the power trigger.

If so, it might be worth considering the drill stands from the German company Wabeco. Proper heavy duty and, in my experience, accurate enough for fine woodworking. More versatile than a drill press as well, given the reach of the horizontal boom and other features.

The 1240 is the smallest in the range. There are bigger models which obviously cost a bit more. There does seem to be a 3 week wait time with the company I linked to (who I bought my 1243 from). But maybe there’s another supplier in the UK with stock?

I use mine with a Bosch 21-2RE.

James

Well in the end I went for the Bosch. Ordered it yesterday afternoon from lawson-his.co.uk and it turned up today. Never used them before but will again as the price (£250) and service seemed good.

I haven't used it properly yet but it works when turned on which is always a good start (y)

Loving the digital speed control and digital depth gauge, a few parts are a bit plasticy but it's what I expected.

bosch drill.jpg

Thanks for the replies, @Bojam you made me realise I haven't used or owned a corded drill for probably 15 years 😳

Latest posts

Back