Pillar drill advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have almost finished assembling and setting up my old floor standing pillar drill.

I think it is a Meddings Pacera but don't know much more than that.

Given it's age I haven't had any luck in finding a manual for it online. It's been modified a bit anyway with a single phase motor and a modern keyless chuck.

I really appreciate any advice on what some of the parts do

Firstly there's a lever at the back to lock off the motor when adjusting the belt position.
When the drill is running should this be locked in position or left loose so the weight of the motor is constantly adding tension to the belt?

I will add a few additional post with specific photos of parts that I'm unsure about

Thanks for any advice

Ewan
5c31491472ffcb5b9f26c30e12344bc2.jpg
ce0bfed3e94304443fe924070ca91d64.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Opposite where the handle attaches there is a silver disc with a couple of holes that look like there for a pin spanner.

Any idea what this does and how to adjust it?

Thanks
3b90001ccfb30929398fcf46e4d55489.jpg

Underneath this disc there's a small bolt with a nut just above where the chuck sits.

Any idea what this does, could it be to adjust the position of the handle when the chuck is fully retracted?

Thanks
b0a4be0bba77b3dcda8039ce71b372fa.jpg

On the right hand side of the drill just behind the Pillar and underneath the casing which holds the belt there is a small bolt sticking out.

Any idea what this might be for?

Thanks

Ewan

86146f8e9d6d1cffafe0e6d0d92226d0.jpg
bd366a82f8aae956062cb3a39854006c.jpg

I have a more modern Meddings, but I think I can answer some if your questions.

Silver disc with two holes in it will cover the spring that returns the quil back to the top after drilling. The bolt underneath will be to allow you to rotate the spring cover to tension / detention the spring to adjust the return spring force. There is a fair bit of preload required. You can adjust the preload with hand pressure if it needs adjusting. Just don’t take the cover off without removing the tension.

The two nuts on a threaded bar are to allow you to set the drill depth for repeated drilling.

A picture of the motor tension system would help to suggest his it should be set. Most I’ve seen are over centre cams that allow you to set and remove predetermined tension. Where ever possible you shouldn’t leave belts under tension when not in use.

Back