Piezo hob ignition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackrodd

Established Member
Reaction score
The Piezo ignition won't switch off, and is clicking on all 4 burners on my 6 year old Neff hob.
There's no spark at any of the hobs, usually a clean fixes this problem.
Is it likely an on/off switch is jammed?
Can anyone help with some advice, but I believe us mortals should not touch any appliance, only those with a gas fitters
knowledge.
Many thanks Rodders

Piezo ignition is a manual/mechanical process. Something (usually a spring loaded weight) hits a piezo crystal and a high voltage is released. One impact = 1 spark. There is no concept of being able to switch off the piezo effect, you just stop hitting it.

You must have something different I think.

If the cooker is like my Daughters it has a multi outlet electronically triggered high voltage generator pack that provides a spark to all burners regardless of which one is turned on for either a timed period or until a thermocouple detects heat. It can stay active for several minutes at times even after a burner has lit.

Don't know how that helps other than to put forward the possibility that if you can here it clicking/sparking the feed cable to the burners has come adrift.

Our Stoves hob has mains-powered spark ignition, which I think might be what you have. Normally, you press a gas tap down as you turn it on, and sparks jump across all five burners. It does sometimes keep on sparking, but this only happens if grease has built up on the stems of the taps, so they don't pop back up. If I pull the plastic knobs off and degrease the brass stems, all is well.

Having had a look tonight the spark is on all four burners constantly, so something's wrong at the spark's source.
You could be right chaps, Ignition other than piezo
'Er indoors said if I can't mend it, then we'll use the gas lighter!
Many thanks for the replies, Rodders

If it has a push button like my old Neff hob had, it could be that the spring has corroded. Mine originally had a rubber cap but that eventually disintegrated allowing cleaning liquids to get under the button. The only way to get it to stop sparking was to grip the button and pull it up.

Back