Pics of my new lathe, tools and first attapmts at turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struan

Established Member
Reaction score
As requested, here's some pics of my first lathe and the first couple of things i've turned
P09-02-09_1513.jpg

Here's my lathe, a Nutool37
P09-02-09_151301.jpg

And another pic of 'Betty', note the bin full of shavings already :D
P09-02-09_1516.jpg

These are all the bits that came with it, not bad, considering i only payed £50 for the lathe and all this!
P09-02-09_151601.jpg

This is the chuck that came with it, i found it on ebay for £135, that's without the coleman jaws and the other attachments.
P09-02-09_1526.jpg

This is the first spinning top i wasn't too ashamed to take a photo of.
P09-02-09_152502.jpg

My first bowl. Endgrain turned, sanded but no finish. Unfortunately this has started to split near the base, i tried mircowave drying it, but think i may have left the base too thick (struggled with this as i am still learning correct techniques and uses for each tool)

Well I think you've done very well there. Both with your first turning and the cracking deal on the lathe.

Well done

Good Lad ! :D :D :D :D Keep the 'first efforts' as they're great to look back on, as you progress...
Wonderful that you're successfully up and running... its highly addictive, and immense fun.
If you're anything like me, and probably most people - several 'disasters' befell me, and still do so... but its all 'school' ...
and the successes make it all worth while :p

I'm not far ahead of you in the process.. only started at the end of 2007, and wish I'd had the sense to start earlier. :)

Top and bowl are looking like excellent first efforts, how long did you gaze at them, once they were finished ? :p :p :p I seem to remember about an "hour per piece" of grinning self appreciation with the first few ! great to know you created something by your own hand, and got all the satisfaction of doing so :p :p :p

Good lad, keep at it - ask plenty questions, and soak up the combined pool of knowledge here and everywhere you can...

Enjoy !

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Haha, i keep putting it down and going of to do something else, but it's not long before i go back and check on it to make sures it's ok!
I think i've got the addiction already, trying to pace myself though, i think my girlfriend is already thinking i have a mistress in the garage! :D :D :D

Struan":3kv002sj said:
...I think my girlfriend is already thinking I have a mistress in the garage! :D :D :D

Get the girlfriend involved too

...dustpan and brush for Valentines... make her feel valued :wink:

That's not a bad idea oldsoke, but i think i would find it difficult to turn with broken fingers! :shock:

Blister":2yolkp31 said:
Fifty Quid !!!

You're right,what a great deal!
Welcome to the world of spinny things - remember that that every piece is a learning piece,and above all,enjoy it :D

Andrew

oldsoke":14k6w4jy said:
.....Get the girlfriend involved too

:twisted: :twisted:

Nice haul!

...jealous, moi :shock:

I'm new to this slope too - nice first turnings.

That is a gloat of major proportions, well done on picking up all that kit for £50, you are well and truly on The Slope TM just as I am. :shock: :roll:

[
Well done great buy, are tou related to Blister by any chance.
Wonder what your next one will be . nice turnings too as Jenx said keep them ,put them away for a few months and then look at them again.

Your on the Slope 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Regards Boysie[/quote]

Well done Struan.

That was a good deal :D

You are now on the very slippery slope of addiction to turny things :shock: .

I still have the first things I turned, they still give me a buzz though they are prime examples of how not to do it!

Best wishes,

Mike C

Nice Machine Struan !,

Now buy yourself a clock for the garage, as you will lose hours !, and something to kep the missus happy - i find a couple of babies, and SKY+ has helped in this house !!

Loz

oldsoke":x4xuxtd4 said:
Struan":x4xuxtd4 said:
...I think my girlfriend is already thinking I have a mistress in the garage! :D :D :D

Get the girlfriend involved too

:-k

A far better (and safer) plan is to appoint her as quality controller. Mind you you will need to accept the fact that she will become progressively more critical as she goes on.

Pete

Another newbie here. Just got started with a Charnwood lathe. Too embarrassed to post my attempts but well impressed by all your credentials!

Latest posts

Back