Picking up the pieces of life - back to the workshop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've not been around as my beloved wife died at the beginning of November. We didn't get a lot of warning, one day being told we had about 2-3 years, next we knew, it was 2-3 days.

Been running on the spot trying to catch up with all the paper work and figure out where life now leads after 20 years as her husband and carer, and nearly 15 years being nothing but! Still picking up the pieces slowly, life will start coming back together on it's own in time.

I finally got out in the workshop last week, trying to clear my head with a little turning, and came up with this - I don't think it's great, I was experimenting with the shape, but it's my first in a long while. (bad photos, sorry)

Burr Bowl.jpg

Burr bowl 2.jpg

I'm looking for help as to what to finish it in. I like the inclusions, the rough spots and the burr holes, and I'd not want to try to fill them, nor to see them all clodded up with paste wax if I tried one of my usual finishes. I've been thinking about using just BLO or Hard Wax Oil, but thought I'd ask before hand, as I've never tried using either for a bowl before as yet.

Any opinions and tips welcome.

Nic.

Attachments

• Burr bowl 2.jpg
    Burr bowl 2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Burr Bowl.jpg
    Burr Bowl.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,498
My sincere condolences Nic - Very glad you have been able to get back into the workshop.

What about using foodsafe oil (liquid paraffin)? It's a very forgiving (not that it's needed here necessarily) finish that is nice and matt which just shows off the timber without fuss or shine.

After giving it a few coats (brush on and wipe off the excess) and letting it dry for a day or so, rub over any raised grain with webrax and wipe clean.

HTH
Jon

Hi Nic,

So very sorry at the loss of your wife. I can only imagine the sadness you are going through.

Welcome back to the forum.

John

Welcome back Nic and my condolences on your loss. Seems like you spent the past many years caring for someone else so now is the time to have time for yourself. Glad you are back in your workshop, it will help.

Rog

Sorry for your loss Nic. A good start to being back in the workshop at least it will give you something as a very small distraction when you need to just get away from things

As others have said, sorry for your loss.

Whilst it seems somewhat secondary, I do like this piece you've turned and it is a fab piece of timber.

Chestnut's finishing oil, when applied as per instructions and built to 7 or 8 coats, gives a wonderful deep satin gloss finish that will not mess the pores and has a reasonable level of wear / moisture resistance if you plan to use the bowl.

Best regards

Simon

Condolences on your loss and huge dislocation of your life Nic. - glad you can at least get your head around things enough to be able to loose yourself in the shed for a while at least.

Great piece of wood you've chosen for the shop reawakening.

I'd certainly go for one of the lighter polymerising oils, it should pop the figuring and enhance its character, just remove surplus pooling after a few minutes to stop excessive skin forming whilst you saturate the more absorbent areas with extra coats.

Thanks for the supportive comments.

As for the "lighter polymerising oil" would that include BLO? The only oils I have in the 'shop at the moment is that or a hard wax oil I bought a couple years back to do skirtings and furniture with.

I'm not sure about the shape of the piece - I was just trying for something a little different, and it's yet to be sanded, but I like how it's coming. It feels a little "off" on the outside, but I lack the aesthetic sense and experience to feel how to "fix" it.

The wood was a surprise, was extremely dusty and rough cut, I had no idea it was such a lovely bit of wood!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear of your loss.
We lost Mum in October so I'm kind of right on your wavelength at the moment.
The days get better and things seem clearer each day.

I like the bowl a lot, good work.
Best wishes
Allan

My condolences too Nic, that's pretty tough, it's difficult to know what else to say really,

but as you have given the start with the request for finishing advice, let's go with that. It's a very nice bit of Burr there, and an interesting shape too, as you know i very often make my pieces pretty glossy, which has a two fold advantage, done right, it stays shiny, this makes it easy to look after, and second, Joe public tends to like shiny stuff too, so it adds to it's appeal should you consider offering it for sale.

These days, especially with clean wood (i.e. not coloured with stains) I will pretty much always go with Shellac as a finish, it's pretty easy to apply and makes an excellent finish that looks top class.

I use Dewaxed blonde shellac flakes (or powder) and using a jar like a tiptree jam jar I put in about equal quantities of shellac to IDA (industrial meths) to a total of about half a jar, this makes a fairly robust solution (if it seems too viscous just add a bit more IDA till it looks good to you). With a piece like yours it might be best to make up a rubber, some rag or guncotton wrapped into a 6x6 inch square of lint free cloth (I tie mine off into a tight ball with a small cable tie) put a good handful of rag filler in, it holds more and needs recharging less. (With a plain bowl you can brush the shellac on which is much quicker, but it has to be cut back more)

A box of latex gloves are handy to keep the shellac off your fingers, it gets a bit sticky after a bit.

After 24 hours the shellac should be ready, just check it's all dissolved, (once mixed I put mine into an empty fairy liquid bottle, it makes it easy to control how much I put on the rubber) at first the rubber will just soak it right up, don't flood it, just keep adding it slowly till it has enough to let some out when you wipe it across the wood, you don't want it to leave more than a very thin layer, and with the burr, you want to avoid it pulling excess off into the little nooks and crannys in the form of drips, so be patient, keep the bowl in the lathe as it lets you have great control as you turn it slowly with one hand working your way round and wiping in a curved radial pattern from rim to base till you get back to the start. At first the wood will just suck it in, but as long as it is a bit dryer (usually it will be bone dry by the time you do a circuit for the first few goes anyway) just keep on going round, gradually building it up. If it catches in the holes and cracks have a bit of folded tissue handy to absorb the excess.

At first it will seem like it is never going to get done, but in fact it does build up surprisingly quickly, I can get the outside of a bowl done in about a half hour.

Once it looks well coated (all shiny but not too thick!) let it dry overnight, next day gently cut it back with some 400 grit just to remove the high spots till it all looks nicely matt, then go over it again with the rubber, 5 or 6 passes should be plenty, but judge it by appearance. leave again for 24 hours.

You then have two options to bring out the gloss, either use buffing wheels, the tripoli works well at around 1200, using shrt gentle passes and avoid lingering in any spot, if you get a build up of tripoli compound on the finish, don't try removing it with the wheel, sand it off with a bit of 400 and re-polish it with the wheel.
When it come to the diamond whit turn the speed down to 500 rpm, for some reason the diamond white will grab and instantly heat up and melt the shellac causing great pulls and tears in the finish if you use it at high speed. Guess how I found that out! They are most difficult to repair too.

So just work nice and slowly with the diamond white wheel, be patient, that's the secret.

You should need nothing beyond that, no wax or anything else, just an occasional wipe.

The alternative to the buffing wheels is burnishing cream, (Chestnuts sell a big bottle very reasonably, it lasts for ages) put some on a soft cloth and just hold it against the piece while spinning the lathe at around 900rpm, be check it often, it is surprising how much material this stuff can remove. The drawback with this is that the cream will get into the cracks etc, it is pretty soft when dry and can be brushed or picked out, but that is a bit fiddly, nevertheless it does get you a very nice high gloss quite quickly.

So, even if a high gloss doesn't appeal to you, at least you know how I get mine should you ever need to!

All the best Nic, hope this helps some.

Hi Nic
So sorry to hear about your wife, must be devastating and I guess nothing anyone can say that helps. Getting back in the workshop has to be the right thing to do for you.

I've just finished a very rough burr elm and wanted to keep it that way so used multiple coats of danish oil and am very happy with it, It won't be used for anything edible though.
pics on this page. post-a-photo-of-the-last-thing-you-made-t81798-1185.html

Bob

I've gone with the Danish Oil, as it's the only thing I could source pretty quickly and locally, from all the suggestions - but I'm keeping that guide to shellac finishing, printed out and in my shed for future reference. I have a lovely light coloured Spalted Beech bowl that I'm doing next, where it would go quite well, and some Sycamore blanks that should really gleam with shellac as a finish.

The one I found darkened the wood more than I'd intended, but it's a pleasant colour and the whole thing's coming on nicely. I'll post the finished result eventually - got 3 projects on the go at once, and the huge planter to try to save my wife's favourite garden plant from the current frost is obviously the most urgent!

One question - if I wanted to thin down Danish Oil, should I use white spirits, meths or cellulose thinners?

Thanks for all the help and support guys. It's the people that make this a great forum in so many ways.

Nic.

Sorry about your loss, mate; as we head past the three-score-and-ten, it all gets uncomfortably close.
But I didn't think you got enough frosts to damage plants on the Nairn Riviera! At least it looks as if the flood works round Elgin have avoided something - we've had a bus floating past down near the Ythan.

Latest posts

Back