Pick me a band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otter

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been 'commissioned' by the missus to make something for her for Christmas. It's to be made from walnut and the design screams 'bandsaw'. However, I do not own a bandsaw at the moment so this would be the perfect opportunity to make such a purchase justifiable.

From doing a bit of research on the internet, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted - an Axminster HBS250N. However, on visiting their shop in Sittingbourne this morning, I discovered it's actually a bit, errr, naff in comparison to their Trade line stuff. So that and anything comparable is out. I want something proper!

Space is a limiting factor though. Ideally I want something fairly small - bench-top sized really, or certainly something no more than about 600x800 footprint that I can put on castors and move in and out of it's 'home' easily. I do love their BS11INV, but spending nearly 1.5k is really not an option - I can probably justify a grand, tops. So after doing a bit more online research I think I have got it down to 4 options: Ax BS11 (non inv); Ax SBW3501B; SIP01444 and the Record BS350.

So out of those, which one would you choose? There is no one near that stocks the SIP or Record, so I'd be buying them blind. Ax is close and very helpful, but obviously they are slightly biased. Anyone had any experience of the others?

Cheers everyone.

I bought a small bandsaw and bitterly regretted it. I finally managed to get rid of it (it was a FOX, my advice, STAY AWAY).
I now have the axminster 350N. This is a good sized machine that will do more and more as you get used to things that are possible.

I had 2 mechanical problems that really should not have happened on a brand new machine.
The drive belt came apart after a matter of a couple of hours running time.
The top wheel bearings started clicking after not many more hours.

Both easy fixes and I did not go to axminster for spares, using the logic that replacements will be the same quality as originally fitted. I bought top quality parts for less than £20 (I changed the lower wheel bearings as well).
In all other respects I am very pleased with it and have made many boxes that have been well received as well as all the other stuff you use it for.
Of course I also bought tuffsaws blades.

Thanks. I did have a quick poke around the 350N and it looked pretty good. There was one in their clearance section for about £60 less than a brand new one, which did look tempting. The trade ones do seem a lot better quality but maybe I a lower quality one is perfectly suitable for my use (non-commercial, purely home use). A £400 saving could go far. Although I do appreciate good tools and am a sucker for a bit of festool....

There are quite a few forum members that like the record models, Im sure somebody will be along soon to advise -something to compare to the axi model.

woodpig":ie3ugug7 said:
If you know what to look for keep an eye open for a good used Startrite.

That's part of the problem. I don't really. Otherwise I would be looking second-hand. Just because it's got a shiny and un-tarnished bed, doesn't mean it hasn't got screws, bearings and other small parts missing or knackered that I know nothing about.

second hand is always tempting, but with no experience, you could easily buy something that would need more parts and expenses than buying new.
Also, in this instant world, I know I didnt want to wait months while refurbing an old machine, even though I have the knowledge and tools to do so. I just wanted to cut some wood!

sunnybob":1zlxik01 said:
second hand is always tempting, but with no experience, you could easily buy something that would need more parts and expenses than buying new.
Also, in this instant world, I know I didnt want to wait months while refurbing an old machine, even though I have the knowledge and tools to do so. I just wanted to cut some wood!

Yeah Man!

Also, the whole point of the excuse to buy this thing is for a Christmas present. If I can't get it running properly in order to make it by then, it makes this whole exercise a bit, well, pointless!

I was in the same boat as you last year, did not know anything about bandsaws, but managed to pick up a Record Power 350S from one of the members on here, to cut a long story short, I just don't know how I got on without it, its in use every time I enter the workshop, can't fault it in any way, you could wait all year for a good second hand one, but they are available new from DM Tools: http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... AFJ8pMrK0I I would not hesitate if its the right size for the work you want to do.

And of course Tuffsaw blades.

Don't buy the wheel kit, its annoying that two of the wheels are not castors, mine are coming off to be converted to four wheel locking castors.

Mike

Perhaps a trip to Warco to have a look at their machines. About 60 miles from you I think, might be worth a trip :idea:

If your budget really is a grand, then get the Record BS400. Look where the Record show is on, order one over the phone it will be £899 inc delivery.

Nobody has ever regretted getting a bigger bandsaw, an the footprint of the BS350 and BS400 is very similar.

I was toying between the BS400 and the Jet 16". I would definitely have ordered the Record but had to get the jet as Record deliver on a 16 tonne lorry and I can't get that nearer than half a mile from home.

Phil

I've got the older Record RSBS14 in the blue paintwork before they went all green. Can't remember when i bought it but was at least 15 years ago. I was using it today and it was working just as well as the first day i purchased it. It's had a wheel tyre and a drive belt replaced in all that time, though i have to admit it only got used at weekends until i semi retired and started to work from home full time this year. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Record.

To need a 16amp supply we would be talking a bandsaw of 3.5Kw at 220volt nominal, most of that power are three phase, some induction motors have a spike start up demand that could need a D/C type breaker on the supply though, the BS400 is 2HP which is about 1.5Kw which is approximately 7amps at 220volts nominal so again only the need for the provision of a spike tolerant breaker.

Mike

Hemsby":1qk3houb said:
Perhaps a trip to Warco to have a look at their machines. About 60 miles from you I think, might be worth a trip :idea:

Thanks. Never heard of Warco before, but I'm not adverse to a slightly more unknown brand if they are any good.

Blister":1qk3houb said:
Be careful on bigger saws as some need a 16 amp supply

Thanks for the heads-up. Not too concerned though, ! can easily install a 16A supply if needed.

Sheptonphil":1qk3houb said:
If your budget really is a grand, then get the Record BS400. Look where the Record show is on, order one over the phone it will be £899 inc delivery.

Nobody has ever regretted getting a bigger bandsaw, an the footprint of the BS350 and BS400 is very similar.
Phil

Food for thought, definitely. Think there might be a bit of size creep going on here though - two days ago I was looking at small bench-top things!

Buy from a tool show. I had a £100 discount and free delivery on the BS400 I have. THis was bought after I had a few months with a table top model and the difference is outstanding, particulary when fitted with blades from Tuffsaw. The 350 or the 400 would serve you well and have a 5 year guarantee.
Malcolm

Always buy the thing you just cant quite afford.

Advice that has stood me in good stead for over 30 years now.

sunnybob":gm2xkvve said:
Always buy the thing you just cant quite afford.

Advice that has stood me in good stead for over 30 years now.

Indeed. Very good advice. But which one in that price bracket (i.e. 1k - I really shouldn't be spending that much on a just one small piece of my hobby!) should I plump for? Still slightly siding with Ax trade/SIP to be honest, despite the Record love.

You should get some change from 1k, and later on you really will be glad you bought something sunstantial.

I dont think theres much to choose between makes. Almost everything is made in china, and you will be lucky if you dont have some teething troubles.
I was actually trying to buy a record but Yandles would not ship it to me. The guy actually started laughing, so he lost a grand sale right there. So I went to axminster who were only too happy to oblige at a very reasonable shipping rate.

Flip a coin.

sunnybob":12faajh7 said:
You should get some change from 1k, and later on you really will be glad you bought something sunstantial.

I dont think theres much to choose between makes. Almost everything is made in china, and you will be lucky if you dont have some teething troubles.
I was actually trying to buy a record but Yandles would not ship it to me. The guy actually started laughing, so he lost a grand sale right there. So I went to axminster who were only too happy to oblige at a very reasonable shipping rate.

Flip a coin.

Problem is the distance. Not like, 'round the corner', but I would rather be there with your weather than here. Rain this morning, but turning sunny now.

Malcolm

Latest posts

Back