Piano finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone direct me to any information on how a piano black finish on hardwood is created?

Thanks,

Dave

Now from what I have seen on the Discovery channel it is a sprayed finish. If this is how you intend to do it I would suggest a lot of sealer and filler for the grain and then a couple of good coats of gloss black from a HVLP gun or base black and a clear coat. It is then down to lots of wet flatting with wet N dry and a final burnish with a machine polisher. You will then get a finish like glass. HTH. :wink:

Modern piano finishes are made using special polyester resins and are not the thing to do yourself.

A high piano style finish can be achieved in a number of ways but all will require perfect surface preparation (which in turn depends on carefully arranged lighting to see imperfections as you work) and finishing the finish with scraping and polishing with fine abrasives.

You can come close with spraying and with French polishing if you are not insistent on an absolutely perfect high style finish but the surface preparation remains a key factor as a high finish will magnify any imperfections.

Anybody know any waterbased finishes that can go through the HVLP.

I have the Wickes gloss, and it's not bad, but any others?

The ideal way is a black with clear coat, but I understand for paint purposes there is NO clear coat available. So that leaves some more scary chemicals to look at. There is a new mask coming out soon that will enable you to safely spray lacquers at home, BUT that is assuming you don't blow yourself up with the VOC's.

Dave_G":1scxv1ap said:
Hi,

Can anyone direct me to any information on how a piano black finish on hardwood is created?

Thanks,

Dave

I did read somewhere that the finish on a Stynway(sp?) takes a year to do :shock: - Rob

Back