Pets..what do you have?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone that would prefer a catflap to waiting :)

Monty

monty1.jpg

We've got two labradors, both rescue dogs. The first was 7 months when we got him. His human who was in his 80's, died while taking him for a walk. The second we took on after he'd had two homes, the first of which had abused him in some (very bad) way and the second could not cope with his messed up brain as a result. He's very very gradually settling down and I hope that in a year or so he'll be back to being a happy content dog. Anyone thinking of getting a dog should consider one of the breed rescue societies, they do wonderful work. Also, you get your dog after someone else has had the worst of the house training.

Bodgit
Yes, thanks for mentioning the recue societies, they do indeed do wonderful work, and get very little income or recognition from the rest of society.

It can take up to two years to get a 'mixed up' dog back on track but it is worth it in the end. They like to have a hierachy, they like to have routine, and food, and lots of love.

The rolling in cow poh thing is almost certainly connected with a dogs amazing sense of smell (1000 to 10000 times better than a human, depending on the breed)

Cow poh is maybe the doggy equivalent of Channel No.5 :roll: :lol:

scooby":3anoukqd said:
Yeah, my parents bearded collie used to roll in cow poo, and so does my sister's dog (also a bearded coliie). What the hell is that about?

Dunno. Someone once said it's to disguise their scent. Absolutely gross whatever the reason. Especially since he always picked the watery green ones... :sick:

We have 2 cats, a Ragdoll called Nancy
and a Birman called Molly.

Oh, I wish we had got short haired cats instead!

Also, I have some pond fish, I used to have some koi but
they vanished! (It was not the cats - they live inside)

Andy

1 x cat who is quite old at 18.... My last cat lived till it was 23....

However this one never goes out and is stone deaf now. She has decided to sleep all day, talk loudly all night and insist on breakfast at 5am...

We all love our pets, although I always think we may be the pets....

Marky

Scott":2bbnxb8n said:
scooby":2bbnxb8n said:
Yeah, my parents bearded collie used to roll in cow poo, and so does my sister's dog (also a bearded coliie). What the hell is that about?

Dunno. Someone once said it's to disguise their scent. Absolutely gross whatever the reason. Especially since he always picked the watery green ones... :sick:

Thats the same reason I heard too but if its true, I don't see the reasoning. They are/were bred mainly to herd sheep, so unless they unless they herd by a stealthy, scentless ambush method :D it doesn't make much sense. Kira (my sister's beardie collie) is 9 now and hasn't done the cow dung rolling thing for a good few years now, thank god.

One thing I do admire in this breed is their hardiness, probably their most recognised trait. It can be freezing cold, peeing it down and Kira will quite happily lie in the garden (probably imagining a flock of sheep or something) while my sane human beings would be inside not daring to set foot outside.

Marky":37aopoxe said:
1 x cat who is quite old at 18.... My last cat lived till it was 23....

However this one never goes out and is stone deaf now. She has decided to sleep all day, talk loudly all night and insist on breakfast at 5am...

We all love our pets, although I always think we may be the pets....

Marky

23! I always find it amazing how long cats can live. I admit I'm not a cat person but my mate had a persian blue that lived to 17. That cat definately changed my opinion of cats. He was deaf and only had a few teeth left but always looked happy and was very friendly.

scooby - so what put you off the Pyrennean then? we've got one - Orion - and he's lovely (read that as 'very thick and practically untrainable')

jim

Scooby...

The 23 Year old, just followed me home one day, happened when I was walking past some derelict buildings in Tottenham.

She was mutated (called a polydactyl, if I remember what the vet said), she had 7 toes on each paw. Her paws were as wide as an adults hand, less the thumb.

She looked like a wild cat and probably was. She also didnt seem to like humans and spent the next 20 years scratching me whenever she got the urge.

I always wonder what possessed me to keep her.

Marky

A black and white cat called Horace (nickname 'Hannibal' as our kitchen floor is like an abattoir in the mornings: mice, birds, half a rabbit, a bat.....).
Still, keeps the workshop free of mice, so he's in my good books
No Woodrat puns, please

Saintsman

I have a little jack russel/border terrier-cross, she'll be nine-years-old in July, the pork little thing. :D

She can be very strange at times. I can understand the urge to smell any new hardwoods I've bought inside to dry and acclimatise for a couple of days, but whenever I show her a handful of shavings she LICKS them clean out of my hand!

Only the finest hardwood mind, none of this cheap pine. :wink:

Hello.
Just came acroos this thread.
We have a very spotty Dalmatian Called Raffles.Loves it in the workshop.Still manages to sleep through all th noise though. :roll:
Paul.J.

Have been wanting to post a pic. of our two Newfies for ages but couldn't. Anyway, like Lord Nibbo we have two Newfoundlands and here they are:-

http://harveycetenov.myphotoalbum.com/v ... =Dogs11003

Hope you like them

P.S.
They are both girls so not quite as big as Bosun & Otto but still manage to get through a 15Kg bag of 'Royal Canin' every 12 days and they get a bit of turkey, chicken, and meat loaf as well :roll:

Here's my 16 month old springer spaniel. He's called 'Mac', short for Macdui, which is the second highest mountain in Britain.

Here he is doing what he does best... getting filthy!

1243005969_91c817b37d.jpg

and here he is with me, on top of his first munro, hopefully we're going to bag them all.

1243864556_2ef1b79fbe.jpg

Latest posts

Back