Personalised Chisel handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyP64

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First post, i'm glad to finally see an ENGLISH woodworking forum!

I was just wondering if anyone had any E.A Berg Eskilstuna socket chisels, and if you do could i have some dimensions, as i'm looking to put something similar on my LN chisels, but i want to make a mock up and find out if there gonna be comfy in my massive paws.

Sammy

All i mean is that all wood working Forums seem to be in america, and it just means when they recommend places, it may not be the nearest and thus cheapest or easiest solution to the problem, whereas everyone on this forum has experience of british firms and companys, or at least people who operate in or near to the british isles,

but lets try and keep things on the chisels eh!

Sam

i have a set of these but only 4 have the original handles 6,9,15 and 25mm it looks like as the chisel width increases so do the dimensions of the handle, if i can help please let me know

it would be amazing if you could measure the diameter craig, of the main part and the centre of the curve,
how long that part is, length overall, diameter changes where there are steps in it, anything you think would be useful to someone turning a set of them,

Thanks very much, i didn't know if id find anyone with any!

Sam

Actually there areseveral UK based forums. I think two of the mags now have reasonably successful forms and there's a couple of others which have relatively low membership. So I think you need to brush up on your google skills if you didn't find us with your first search :roll: :lol:

UKW is (was) arguably the most prominent UK Based Woodworking forum. (Which is slowly working it self into the ground)...

Hello wizer,

I just meant that every other forum i have come across (without actually looking for them specifically) was american or canadian based, and it was refreshing to know there are UK based ones

Sam

SammyP64":7z9diwiz said:
I just meant that every other forum i have come across was american or canadian based, and it was refreshing to know there are UK based ones
Aye, but what you said was "ENGLISH woodworking forum" and the Laird, being based in SCOTLAND, took exception... :shock: :p :p :D (I'm sure he wasn't really offended - I hope....)

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":374f3dnt said:
SammyP64":374f3dnt said:
I just meant that every other forum i have come across was american or canadian based, and it was refreshing to know there are UK based ones
Aye, but what you said was "ENGLISH woodworking forum" and the Laird, being based in SCOTLAND, took exception... :shock: :p :p :D (I'm sure he wasn't really offended - I hope....)

Cheers, Vann.

But it was not a very friendly way to welcome someone new to here, was it?

By the way Sammy, welcome.

If you do a search on Google images there are quite a few images that may be helpful.

Mick

SammyP64":1o86w1uo said:
Hey guys,
First post, i'm glad to finally see an ENGLISH woodworking forum!

I was just wondering if anyone had any E.A Berg Eskilstuna socket chisels, and if you do could i have some dimensions, as i'm looking to put something similar on my LN chisels, but i want to make a mock up and find out if there gonna be comfy in my massive paws.

Sammy

Hi Sammy

Just a comment on the Berg handles for the bevel chisels. They are sort of confusing to me. On the one hand the chisel steel is thinnish and make decent parers, so you would expect a longish handle sans hoop (since this type if chisel is not for hitting). But in fact the handles are short and hooped, since these chisels were actually designed as bench chisels (all rounders). Just that the steel is not as heavy duty as the bench chisels that are sold these days.

Why copy the Berg handles? Why not design and build something that you can call your own, that fits your paw. The Bergs are thickish, but they are also quite short. I don't have an original handle to hand - I do have a bunch in a drawer somewhere and can find them for you if you desparately want the measurements.

A few years ago I replaced all the handles of my tanged Bergs. I wanted something more along the lines of Japanese parers. As you can see below, the Bergs are thicker ..

Paringchiselhandles1.jpg

The above were for the sizes up to 5/8". From 3/4" - 1 1/4" I made them thicker ...

Berghandles.jpg

Bergchisels.jpg

More recently I rehandled a bunch of socketed Stanley #750s. The originals have handles very similar in size to the Bergs. Here are two alongside a Blue Spruce dovetail chisel (which, incidentally, has a handle a little longer than the original #750 Stanle/LN) ...

Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel_html_m500c6998.jpg

Make your own .... http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel.html

Regards from Perth (that's not in the UK! :) )

Derek

Another post that sounded lighthearted in my mind, and didn't read that way on the screen. :oops:
Welcome Sammy and my apologies if I offended, I wasn't.
Phil, from Millport (Scotland, not USofA).

TrimTheKing":3idzjy4k said:
Regards from Perth (that's not in the UK! :) )

Derek
Yes it is! It's just West South West of Dundee!

;)

Mark, that's Dundee ... near KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa?

Regards from Perth, AUSTRALIA

Derek

Did you know Derek that Botany Bay is also in the UK! In Kent!

:D :D :D

I think the clue for the UKW is in the title....but as you can see....we have great input from the colonies! :wink:

Jim

Now you are going to tell me that New South Wales is not dinky di, true blue Aussie?!

So where in the UK is Woolongong or Weeroona?

Better get back to chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks to all for the warming welcome!

No worries laird, it takes a lot to offend me!
Althought i am glad you know understood what i meant :)

From the sounds of it, your all recommending designing my own handles...

I did think of this, but i just found the particular shape of the Berg chisels, although at college we do have a wadkin morticer with a VERY comfy handle...

regards

Sam

SammyP64":o5kucfcv said:
I was just wondering if anyone had any E.A Berg Eskilstuna socket chisels,

Welcome Sammy!

Wouldn't that be a swedish forum?

:wink:

Cheers
Pedder

i certainly can give you some measurements but it might take a couple of days as i have just spent the morning in a&e after trying my best to cut the top of my finger off with a stanley knife.

also i agree with derick why not design your own ,having used these chisels the handles are not much different size wize to the ln's and would benifit from a slightly longer handle without a hoop

Back