Pergola Wood Movement, Covers no longer Fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All

Video attached as its a lot easier to explain that way. I wonder if anyone has better ideas (bought or made) for my issue.

Thanks
Raf

Attachments

• IMG_1333.mov
    43.2 MB
Hi - I’m wondering if that much movement within the pergola frame would be visible at some point - warped or twisted timbers some sort of visible indicator that all is not well but I’m not seeing that in your video-( I appreciate a lot of it is covered but nevertheless it looks reasonably straight. My own thoughts based on the material used for the covers is the covers themselves may of expanded and contracted at some point and not retained their original form . In your video you refer to a few mm but the gaps look significantly more - how much pressure is needed to force the cover onto the bracket/ cleats ? If you could force them back into place with the current warm weather they may stretch enough to as they used to . I’d be out with the tape measure to confirm the integrity of the frame and also check the width and height of the covers- if unsure measure the diagonals and this will confirm if it’s the frame or the covers . Any help or advice from the maker and any similar issues highlighted in the reviews ( if there are any ) ??

I’m about to build a pergola.

I agree with Bingy man. More likely the plastic has contracted. Tape measure will confirm.

Thank you all. I will do just that but I’m not quite understanding. We all agree that the frame is bigger than the plastic. So why measure the frame other than to confirm for movement? I have the original drawings of the plastic covers so I could compare against those.

Thanks

Vote 3 for plastic shrinking. I'm assuming the posts are set in concrete? That won't move anywhere near that much so the plastic should always meet up at the bottom of the posts if it was wood movement but the gap looks fairly consistent all the way down.

What time of day did you try and put it up.

How about doing it later in the afternoon when the plastic has warmed and stretched.

B
Thank you all. I will do just that but I’m not quite understanding. We all agree that the frame is bigger than the plastic. So why measure the frame other than to confirm for movement? I have the original drawings of the plastic covers so I could compare against those.

Thanks
Because you need to know where your issue lies, you can compare drawings but that won’t tell you what was actually fitted, I would imagine that expansion and contraction would have been factored into the design. However if your drawings for eg say the covers are 3m x 3m allowing for any movement but the company fitted covers of 2m 975x 2m 975 then you need to know this . The same goes for the frame - it’s just confirming what you have actually got against what your drawings say . Knowing if the frame is at fault or the actual covers is just helping you resolve the problem as what has already happened can and may happen again. Do you have any warranty or guarantee? If yes the more information you have the less likely the company will try to get out of it by bulls..ting you .
It’s actually brilliant that you have the drawings for comparison-especially if their are covers that fit correctly-

Thank you @Bingy man. I remember the plastic was made on my exact measurements and did not allow for contraction/expansion. Fortunately because it was made in Bulgaria everything is via email (due to the language barrier) so I may have recourse.

I think I’m being a little slow here - sorry. So I’ll measure the gap between posts and compare against the measurement of the plastic?

Ill post another video of the posts soon as I agree it most probably is the plastic. Post are set in concrete yes and only one has bowed slightly.

Thank you @Bingy man. I remember the plastic was made on my exact measurements and did not allow for contraction/expansion. Fortunately because it was made in Bulgaria everything is via email (due to the language barrier) so I may have recourse.

I think I’m being a little slow here - sorry. So I’ll measure the gap between posts and compare against the measurement of the plastic?

Ill post another video of the posts soon as I agree it most probably is the plastic. Post are set in concrete yes and only one has bowed slightly.
Ironically the reason I gave my advice is I have a greenhouse that is in the direct path of a neighbouring property and they have a large industrial floodlight that keeps my plants within the greenhouse in light 24 hrs a day so I made a screen with a plastic tarpaulin but it wasn’t wide enough. I used a large roll of industrial tape - a perfect fit until a recent cooler day and the tape contracted pulling the tarp out of shape - moving forward if you experience further problems you may have to source a different type of cover or look into the expansion/ contraction properties of your current covers . Good luck and keep us informed as we all learn from each others experiences.

Update: they Fit. See the Video attached, easier to explain plus a question

Attachments

• update.mov
    39.2 MB
I’d be tempted to leave them attached-as you say when the winter arrives they will most likely contract and you will be back to square 1 . Keep checking the top section to ensure that will fit . Take it as a win 🥇 and go from there.. glad we could help ..

Back