Pergola Insulation - too hot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All

See picture, I have a pretty standard pergola roof and have Already ordered some construction ply and 90mm insulation to secure to the Battons and slot the insulation between the roof and the ply. Yes the insulation is lined with reflective foil. I went down this route as both getting reflective film or paint is too troublesome to be honest.

My Dilemma is do I easily secure the ply as above and slot the insulation or make some noggins and slot the ply in between the battons. I guess the in between method is maybe better looking but am I missing anything else?

I’ve already ordered the insulation which is arriving on Friday so I would probably need to get thinner insulation if I went with the in between method

Thanks

Attachments

• 62FD8108-3C0E-4708-9654-1CCEA5578177.jpeg
    62FD8108-3C0E-4708-9654-1CCEA5578177.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 0
A pergola is an unroofed garden structure, it looks like you have a conservatory roof. You can jam foil board insulation in-between the rafters and then board the inside to retain it but will obviously reduce light levels in the conservatory and house. If you do that use a lighter board than 18 mm ply ,matchboard, 6mm ply or even white faced 4mm hardboard will do though you'll need noggins on the joins.

Thank you sir. I’ve ordered 12mm ply will probably paint white as I have lots of left over paint. I could make the whole thing “slotable” to remove during the winter (for light) but then storage is a problem. Haha

Thanks again

Back