Pen/pencil case!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
I was asked to make a pen and pencil set a few weeks back in Yew,with a presentation case to match,xmas pressy.But i have been layed up again with another bout of Flu and time is running out too fast for my liking.Still not 100% fit so time will be limited in the shop i think,plus a load of catching up to do.
So i was just wondering if you have any ideas for a quick simple case to hold the pen and pencil.
Originaly i was going to do a lift off lid but i think this will take too long.
TIA.
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

I suppose you have seen the double wood cases that Craft Supplies sell with the small ball hinges. I think they used to sell the hinges on their own, so all you would need to do is two flat pieces of Yew, use a router or carve the two slots inside each, shape and sand the outside, and fit the hinges.

Go to Craft Supplies site and put Bag of 10 Metal Hinges for Pen Boxes into the search box.

I know when I made that case for the 'priest' I made it was a pain in the b**t, so I think I would use hinges if I had to do it again.

Thanks Tam/Chas.
Tam are those hinges the spring shut type,easy to fit,and would i get them in time if i order tomorrow.Never ordered from them before :?:

Chas i already suggested buying a box but he definately wants one made to match the wood used for the kits. :roll: He also likes Yew.
I will just have to try and have a good bash tomorrow.
Paul.J.

Hi again Paul. You can only ring Craft Supplies and ask if they can get them to you before xmas.

To my knowledge they are not spring loaded, I've only seen them fitted to existing boxes. To fit you drill two corresponding holes in each side and glue the hinges in.

A good example is using the link that Chas put up, and scroll down to the wooden 'Oval pen boxes' they have the hinges fitted.

Good luck mate, as Chas said it's a bit late in the day, but again good luck.

Paul, don't forget to ask Craft Supplies about postage cost! minimum may be more than the items you are after.

Wasn't there a post on not too long back where a member placed a small order and was charged a lot for postage :?
I think i will just use the small butt hinges i've got,if i can find them.
Watch this space. :shock:
Paul.J.

Panic over,PHEW :D
Felt a lot better today so had a good go at making a case.Seems to have turned out o.k for a first attempt.Just hope he likes it.
Piece of Yew cut down the middle,185mm long x 55mm wide x 25mm deep.Finished with Danish oil.
Click on piccy.

Paul.J.

Looks like it's a 'job done' result Paul, anybody would think you had made a few boxes before :lol:

And you were worried about hinges. [-(

There ain't nowt wrong with that box Paul. I would be happy to have made it. Curiosity, how did you do the hollows for the pens? Router or chisels.

As has been said, job done!

Thanks for the comments.
Now i've made it i just can't see what i was panicing over :roll: Think it may be because it is a simpler case than the one intended to make.But i am a lot happier with this :D

CHJ wrote
anybody would think you had made a few boxes before
Your not wrong their Chas,though itc as been some time since my last :(
TEP wrote
Curiosity, how did you do the hollows for the pens? Router or chisels.
I cut them on the router table Tam.Marked the inner lengths on the top and bottom so i could see them, and set the sliding fence on the table as my start and stops.
Paul.J.

Who's a clever boy then. If you aren't careful people will see it and want one just like it :lol:
Looks really good. Glad you managed to get it done, panic over.

Pete

DickM wrote
Hope the recipient is equally pleased!
Well he collected it last night and was over the moon with the case and pen/pencil. :D i'm glad to say.
Gotta say how nice Yew is to work with,first time i've made something with Yew apart from turned items,so might bandsaw some more up into small plank sizes to make some more boxes/cases.
Paul.J.

Paul.J":2j79dfao said:
Gotta say how nice Yew is to work with,first time i've made something with Yew apart from turned items,so might bandsaw some more up into small plank sizes to make some more boxes/cases.
Paul.J.

Thought you were giving up flat woodworking :lol: suddenly realised that you can do both huh?

If the examples I have seen are anything to go by you would be mad to stop altogether.

Pete

Thanks Pete :D
Bodrighy wrote
Thought you were giving up flat woodworking suddenly realised that you can do both huh?
Well you know what they say Pete,"A change is as good as a rest"
Just found the Yew nice to work with,so might do other things with all the Yew i've got.
Are we still on for a swap Pete :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":krz1rr9w said:
Thanks Pete :D
Bodrighy wrote
Thought you were giving up flat woodworking suddenly realised that you can do both huh?
Well you know what they say Pete,"A change is as good as a rest"
Just found the Yew nice to work with,so might do other things with all the Yew i've got.
Are we still on for a swap Pete :?:
Paul.J.

It'll obviously be in the New Year but yep it's still on , beech for Yew and Yew for me.....:(ouch that's awful

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
It'll obviously be in the New Year but yep it's still on , beech for Yew and Yew for me.....:(ouch that's awful
That's great Pete.
Did Yew manage to cut up and save much of the Beech Yew had :?:
Paul.J.

So far I have made 15 bowls. 7 spalted vases, 2 platters, about 6 nite lites, a mortar & pestle and about 100 fire logs from stuff even I couldn't use. That leaves me with about 50 foot plus the branches to go.....yes, I've got some left. Nice thing is I have only moved a mile down the road so I can still get to it

Pete

Latest posts

Back