Pen making.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmagnet

Established Member
Reaction score
Do i need a pen barrel trimmer for turning pens ? or is there another way around it :? , i've been looking on various sites but can't find anything :wink: .

Many thanks Ray, an excellent tutorial. :wink:
I'll search for a barrel trimmer now :)

Kevin, this is my setup much the same as Rays, like every other task there are countless ways of achieving the same end result.

I think you will find the Axminster trimmer about the cheapest, if you go for a more expensive one make sure you have additional differing diameter guide stems for your money, not essential but a distinct advantage.

Kevin.
The first few pens i made i used my 12" disc sander with a fence set at 90 degrees, to clean the ends up,but after seeing Rays and Chas's methods i soon bought the barrel trimmer from Axminster.Use it in a cordless drill hand held.A lot quicker and cleaner.Just watch you don't take too much brass off the inserts. :D
Paul.J.

Hi CHJ,
What finish do you use on your pens to ensure there is no degradation from oils/acids.
I have tried the CA finish and on some pens I am getting white patches breaking through.
This then requires a complete sand off and start again.

bwlossie":2rhe3hfd said:
.....What finish do you use on your pens to ensure there is no degradation from oils/acids.

To date I have only used a triple coat finish:

1. Cellulose Sanding Sealer, cloth burnished while still moist.
2. 1 or 2 Coats of Wipe On Melamine Lacquer, cloth burnished while still moist.
3. Wipe on Friction Polish (shellac based), cloth build/burnish as required.

To date finish appears to be holding up on those in daily use but it is early days for me in pen making.

Thanks Chas,
I tried this method when I first started but I didn't use Melamine laquer.
Just sanding saeler and friction polish. Finish was good but after a couple of days indoors and some handling it soon "dulled"
Will try using Melamine.

:? I've never got round to thinking about finishing yet, so thanks bwlossie for asking about it :wink:
Sheesh, i've got lot's to learn in the ancient art of twirly,spinny, thingy making. :lol: :lol: :lol:
But thanks to the people on here i'm sure i'll get there..................eventually :lol: :lol: :lol:

for finishing pens i use blo/ca after useing my pen every day it still looks like new.

First few pens i made i just used sanding sealer,and then Carnuba wax.Swmbo uses the pens everyday and they still look good.
Moved on then to Friction polish,and then Carnuba wax.Which the kids use every day at school and they also still look good :D
Paul.J.

One of the finishes i like is Boiled Linseed Oil and CA glue finished off with Renaissance wax. It is a quick and i think easy way to get a great glass like finish.
I have a DVD " Simple Methods For Superior Turned Pens " by Paul Loseby. This is a great dvd for anyone wanting to make pens. I know as this dvd has been a great help to me, and now i make more pens on the lathe than anything else.

Have any of you penmakers had trouble with the mechanisms moving?
I have done a few pens now and am getting reports of "after writing for a little while the pen nib retracts slowly as I write"
Is there any way of tightening the mechanism?

bwlossie, i have never had a trannt work loose. but i suppose they can be
loose fitting occasionaly, what i would do is dismantle it. ie pull it apart then take out the refill, i use a pinch punch set, place a rod down the middle of the tranny and while holding the bottom half of the barrel, tap the nib out. then turn over and knock out the tranny. then what i would do is use some ptfe tape that plumbers use around the tranny base. then re assemble, but dont forget to cut off any tape that can be seen. but first make sure the refill is seated properly. hope this helps. :lol:

bwlossie":17j02ksp said:
Have any of you penmakers had trouble with the mechanisms moving?
I have done a few pens now and am getting reports of "after writing for a little while the pen nib retracts slowly as I write"
Is there any way of tightening the mechanism?

I take it you are referring to 'twist mechanisms' If so are you using the type that lock with a detent when fully extended?

Check a new one against a defect one of the same kit, maybe there is a problem with the quality of the twist mechanism.

Hi bwlossie, sorry to say but I had a similiar problem some years ago when using some kits from Craft Supplies. What I found was the twist mechanism was turning back under the weight of writting. This was only a couple of pens so I just exchanged them and chucked the defective ones away. Never seen this problem for a while though, happily.

I suggest it may just be the low quality of the kits. I would doubt the mechanism was slipping out of the tubing unless something is damaged.

Latest posts

Back