Pen finishing - advice requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian down london way

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a few fountain pens (using the somewhat over-priced Axminster Artisan fountain pen kits).

My usual finish is to seal the shaped blanks, then apply some wood turners polish, and let the friction do the work. However, I saw some while back recomendations to use a spray lacquer (hum, had to look up how to spell that!), but I can't find the posting now.
Can anyone make a recomendation of a product that works well with such small (rotating) items?

Second point. I know there have been some recomendations on other pen kits, like a source from Australia. I had assumed that I would need to also buy the bushings to match the kits. But would I have to also buy a mandrel to take the bushings? Are bushings mandrel specific? I mostly like to make fountain pens, but also clutch pensils, so recomendations of kits would be very welcome.

Happy Christmas!

Hi Ian I buy kits from America and use their bushing on an Axminster mandrel no problem. I would think all mandrels and bushes are a standard size. As for the finish I use tung oil and seal with super glue. But I'm sure there are plenty of other ways and products to finish with.

Cheers Froggy.

No after the Tung Oil. I put it on a clean rag, wait a while for the oil to dry and then smear across the pens parts very quickly to avoid any build up in one area. Then I use a curing agent (Chestnut I think) to dry everything quickly so that I can carry on without a delay. The super glue gives the pen an almost plastic coating for protection.

Have a look for you tube videos for pen finishing with CA, you will find a few.(or CA/BLO or BLO/CA)
CA = cyano acrylate = superglue. (and CA/BLO = CA / boiled linseed oil.
There is a knack to it so have a bit of practice. (its applied whilst spinning)
Personally I only have success with it when using boiled linseed oil too, but thats probably just me but the BLO does make the grain show nicely on the first coat.

Hi Ian
Loads of videos on youtube showing CA process but I suggest you join http://www.penturners.co.uk/ where you'll get as much help and advice as you can handle. It is a bit of a nuthouse though and you'll get sucked in so be warned. :lol:
cheers
Bob

Back