PBS posts new episodes of Woodwright

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for letting us know and making my Sunday a really funday, Oh yes that was good, can't wait (but will have too) till the next batch are released.

Do you think Mike on "Carved Oak Desk Box" would have clinch nailed the delicate little oak drawers, Is that how it would have been done? and it also looks like he’s slavishly stayed with the drawer base grain direction, I presume North Carolina have more humidity extremes than we do in the UK, it surprises me to see this still continuing, didn’t all drawers seize up as they stepped off the mayflower, didn’t the first Made in USA versions address that, or do the American versions have baggy bottoms? :D I note that Mike had a posh chisel, has he been got at by the sales reps?

"Sliding lid boxes"; Great episode for using Jigs, I often have difficulty explaining Jigs to students, everyone is kind of left standing there not really getting it, (I have to do a box project with yr 11's very soon, yes Petes plough planes will be used here, i hope theres 1/8" and 1/4"cutters) I think this is a very good example of how multiple jigs can make light work of a fiddly and accuracy dependant project, not to mention the time issues related to batch production. Surprised again to see a posh shiny tenon saw being used; hopefully it was because of the depth of the mitre box requiring the deeper plate. I love Roy for his Galootness. On that note, I see on "Van Gogh’s Chair"; on his bench as he wheel-braces out the first mortise; a tenon saw with the initials C.S…..could it be Schwarzy’s ?

Love Roy, could watch him forever, ……..the old pit-saw holes being sold off, HaHaHa =D>

Just giving this thread a little bump - and pointing out that there are now eight programmes from the latest series, covering the usual mix of entertainment, instruction and oddities. Things to make, things to watch being made, tips, history, bad puns, erudition.

DD, I too especially like that sliding lid box episode - it had some neat solutions for holding work so you can get at it with the plough plane.

Wow Dave , way to spot the details. On grain issues , the beard and their clique (I like to think of them as the Roy-cketeers) are very big on the properties of riven boards. Follansbee once or twice has remarked that they are what quarter-sawn lumber wishes it was. Most of the woodwork he does is of the archaeological type so I assume that he was just following the evidence as he saw it.
A saw passing from Chris to Roy makes sense to me , once you share a shockingly corny sense of humour , well , sharing a few tools isn't that much of a stretch.

Mike
Already missing Amy and Rory, Sherlock and Watson and all my other refuges from hockey and American programs. Please send better TV for us , desperate ... so desperate.

Get yourself a VPN. We can watch almost all uk tv on the internet through one. Magic thing as far as the missus is concerned.

EDIT, just watched an episode, Ned Flanders is alive and well.

Bumping again - I think the whole season is there now.

I've just watched an episode on making a casement window. Even after all these years, Roy still manages to pack in things I've not seen demonstrated elsewhere, including

* use of a scribing plane
* use of an American style stick and rebate plane
* use of a Barnes foot powered mortiser
* alcohol helping with planing end grain.

Great stuff, even if his joint is a little bit gappy at the end! :lol:

And it's an interesting contrast to Coley's contemporary, professional approach - making-a-casement-window-single-glazed-t101943.html

brilliant stuff -I had no idea these were online. The one on crosscutting is excellent if you like that kind of thing (which I do!)

[quote
A saw passing from Chris to Roy makes sense to me , once you share a shockingly corny sense of humour , well , sharing a few tools isn't that much of a stretch.[/quote]

AndyT":at1xaqgo said:
Bumping again - I think the whole season is there now.

I've just watched an episode on making a casement window. Even after all these years, Roy still manages to pack in things I've not seen demonstrated elsewhere, including

* use of a scribing plane
* use of an American style stick and rebate plane
* use of a Barnes foot powered mortiser
* alcohol helping with planing end grain.
Great to see Roy doing what he does so well.

The casement window was a good one, that stick and rebate plane looked surprising easy to push....do you think he used green wood :lol: It certainly didn't look like kiln dried, as it would be for me here in centre of London. Its true what you say Andy T, I've never seen anyone using alcohol on end grain either only read it here on this forum (?). shame it wasn't poured from an old moonshiners keg :D

He's lost the red braces/suspenders, he also seems to have lost his old "English Backsaws", I didn't see the CS Veritas tenon this time, I saw a newer one without anyones name on it :shock: ......and a bevelled 6mm Veritas chisel :shock: , what's going on, has he sold out to the shiny blingy brigade, they didnt get a credit at the end, is it subliminal sales techniques :wink: ?

I was a little let down by the Roman bench of Schwartzy, I've read a few of his books and blogs and was happily surprised when he was on the episode list, shame he couldn't have rehearsed a little more and managed to stand up the long board for shooting the edge, or had time for any glue ups with wedges braced off the pegs or such. Good about the pins first, I like Frank Klaus, I see him as a proper tradesman, good techniques of (space saving on benchtop) stacking when marking out dovetails as in one of his DVD's.

Good to see Roy sweating all over Peter Ross' the blacksmiths workshop, "Well Roy you did choose the hottest day of the summer to come here to do this"...."lucky were working with wrought iron Roy". I notice they weren't working at the Colonial Williamsburg forge, could that be Peters own forge I wonder, he does mention making his own tongs for the hinge shaping process and Roy says the box is for him....lovely triple (?) breadboarded ends on the flap there.

"Saw like a butterfly, plane like a bee"....."the saw-o-graph"......A new shiny Tom Calisto dovetail saw :shock: The millers fall jack plane in the opening credits...... :shock:

If I didn't know any better I'd say the wife's kicked him out and he cant get back in to get his tools for work (hammer).

I nearly cried when Norm came off the air......please, please, Roy keep on going and may the grain be with you. :mrgreen:

Just to say that PBS have now fixed an error in the listings for this series. They used to have two links both leading to the same video but patient fans can now watch the missing episode from season 36*. It's about how to do breadboard ends, as found on an old tool chest from Bristol.

* Yes, Roy really has been making these programmes that long. A useful Wikipedia episode list confirms that he started in 1979 and has carried on with his own formula ever since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... prov=sfla1

Latest posts

Back