Pay As You Go Phone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't use a mobile phone much but do need one for occasional use. I have a HTC Desire phone and I've spent some time trying to find the best deal for a pay-as-you-go SIM but, to a novice at this game, it seems to be a minefield of partial information, misinformation and plain muddled terms and tariffs.

Anyone help with a recommendation?

RogerP":3ld1mir8 said:
it seems to be a minefield of partial information, misinformation and plain muddled terms and tariffs.

Correct!

Having said that, if you are only a very occasional user, it probably won't make a huge difference to you. I cannot recommend any, as such, but even just one of the local supermarket cards will probably do you fine. Either pick one up at the checkout, or be strong, take a breath and tell the teenage 'talkplan advisor' (insert suitable inanetitle as you wish), that you want a PAYG SIM for VERY occasional use and see what they suggest.

Good luck!!

Greg

I've just looked at thisfor my sister in law and ended up with a shortlist of GiffGaff, Asda mobile and iCard mobile. Icard wouldn't allow roaming, but the other two were similar. You can add credit and literally use on a pay as you go basis (you need to use it once for calling or receiving every few months) or you can buy a monthly package including various amounts of minutes, texts and/or data.

In the end we went with GiffGaff.

Misterfish

Ovivo £20 one off payment gives £5 credit , 300mins, 300 texts & 500mb date per mth for "life". Credit if you transfer your number. If you use TCB there's a £5 cashback at the moment. If you have a smart phone and use the internet then small ads appear but if you don't it's just like any other sim.
If you need a ref for TCB pm me , any referral payments go to Gwent Beekeepers' Association.

Giff Gaff is good so long as you have some sort of idea what you are doing. Help line is online and run by other customers rather than telecom staff.

Last year I bought a mobile Pay as You Go with Orange for £40 for use in case of emergency - car break-downs etc. The good news is that I didn't have any emergencies but the bad news is the thirty quid I paid up front for calls has been wiped off because I didn't use it within the time certified. I'm livid!!!!!!

John

GiffGaff are cheap for occiasional use.

More mainstream are Tesco Mobile or Three.

Hivenhoe":1u0tc5c6 said:
Ovivo £20 one off payment gives £5 credit , 300mins, 300 texts & 500mb date per mth for "life". Credit if you transfer your number. If you use TCB there's a £5 cashback at the moment. If you have a smart phone and use the internet then small ads appear but if you don't it's just like any other sim.
If you need a ref for TCB pm me , any referral payments go to Gwent Beekeepers' Association.

Now this sounds perfect for a back up phone, I take it you need a unlocked phone to put there sim card in but a bit of googling for me to see if it will have a signal round here sounds worth it. Is there any competition for Ovivo whatever they are?

Thanks for posting and may be pm'ing if I get lost!

Dean

DMF":1caes56a said:
Hivenhoe":1caes56a said:

Now this sounds perfect for a back up phone, I take it you need a unlocked phone to put there sim card in but a bit of googling for me to see if it will have a signal round here sounds worth it. Is there any competition for Ovivo whatever they are?

Dean

They use Vodaphone, pm away. You do need to use once every 60 days to keep it live but as it's a one time only payment and all the others need to be topped up it's a no brainer

Many thanks for all the contributions.

Could the mobile experts here please have a look at this offer and tell me what the snags are?

I'm a mobile virgin and all I want is a PAYG so I can make the occasional call without the "top-up" I've paid for vanishing after a time. I'm not interested in web-use or all the twiddly bits - just old fashioned phone calls :) I just want to pay some money up front and know it won't disappear.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

Roger - I've been on Three for quite a long time. The coverage is actually very good these days. I don't think I've ever lost normal mobile phone coverage with Three. The only exceptions being when I'm out hillwalking or on the very tip of the Gower (where no one else gets signal either).

The crucial bit from the three website is:

"Where a Top-up is bought in-store and a 16-digit code provided, the Top-up needs to be activated within 90 days of buying it. Once activated, Top-ups have no expiry date, unless there is no activity at all on an account for 180 days as Three reserves the right to terminate or suspend unused accounts. "

So if you don't use your phone at least once every 6 months, then you'll probably find that your account will be terminated/suspended. However every other network will have a similar clause.

Honestly, there's not much difference between them all. The three one will be fine for what you want, I'm quite sure.

Hivenhoe":3g5xllbk said:
DMF":3g5xllbk said:
Hivenhoe":3g5xllbk said:

Dean

They use Vodaphone, pm away. You do need to use once every 60 days to keep it live but as it's a one time only payment and all the others need to be topped up it's a no brainer

Whoops. Just come across this ...

OVIVO

We are very sad to announce that for reasons beyond our control, OVIVO Mobile is closing down on the evening of Wednesday 19th March 2014.

We'd like to thank each and every one of you for your support and friendship over the last two years.

Just about to post that myself, luckily I don't get round to things that quickly! Blooming typical though :lol: Aah well for those that were on it I hope they got their moneys worth anyway and I think I've gone off the idea of a spare mobile now!

Sorry OP for the minor thread hijack and may good signals etc be with you :)

Dean

Exclusive: Dispute with Cognatel led to Ovivo Mobile termination

Dispute over network software led to abrupt closure of network yesterday evening (March 20)
Ovivo Mobile was terminated by MVNA Cognatel following an alleged dispute over network software that would have allowed the MVNO to uniquely identify each user, Mobile News understands.
It is believed that Cognatel was contractually obliged to deliver the software but had failed to do so. Uniquely identifying each user was essential to the operator’s service which provided free airtime, texts and data in exhange for agreeing to being targeted by marketing materials.
Furthermore, it also understood that Ovivo Mobile had been withholding cash from the Vodafone MVNA as part of the dispute and it was this that led to the plug being pulled at short notice yesterday.

Does anyone need a giffgaff SIM? I've got a spare one here with free £5 credit once you set it up and load£10 onto it.
And to be open I'll get £5 from GG too.

Just a satisfied GG customer

PM me if you want it

Back