Patio help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a large rear garden (well, I guess small compared to some). Part of it adjoining the house would be ideal for a patio, but at the moment it's an uneven sloping mess. It would be really great to flatten it and put a patio down so the little fella has somewhere to ride his walker bike and cars (he's 2). Even if I did the donkey work digging out, we can't afford to slab it. We had quotes last year, that all came in at around £5-6k (though this was all in). I have been looking at stamped concrete, and wonder if that's an option. Does anybody know how well it lasts, and how much cheaper it would be compared to slabs?

Si.

Hi... a few houses along from me has stamped concrete driveway, in a cobble stone design, but the surface would be no way suitable for the young lad to ride a bike... he'd shake himself to pieces. I've seen other designs but all far too textured for little wheels.

Roy

knappers":17l4itps said:
We have a large rear garden (well, I guess small compared to some). Part of it adjoining the house would be ideal for a patio, but at the moment it's an uneven sloping mess. It would be really great to flatten it and put a patio down so the little fella has somewhere to ride his walker bike and cars (he's 2). Even if I did the donkey work digging out, we can't afford to slab it. We had quotes last year, that all came in at around £5-6k (though this was all in). I have been looking at stamped concrete, and wonder if that's an option. Does anybody know how well it lasts, and how much cheaper it would be compared to slabs?

Si.

Why not deck it? Whilst it wouldn't be smooth - I don't see why a nipper couldn't ride a trike\car around on it.

Dibs

Wife's not keen on decking...

I was thinking a pattern like this (without the black paint):

Secret_Garden_Front.jpg

Si.

why do you need to put a slab down? When Dad and I laid their patio we dug down (too far as it was me in my teenage enthusiasm), filled with hard core (tamped down), sand (or dry mix) over the top (vibrated down) and then dots of cement on the corners and one in the middle, lay, lift, mess about with to get the levels right and away you go. That patio and path has remained good for 20 years. Interestingly when the crazy paving bit was lifted this year (the edges had been stuffed by roots) the dry mix was still friable but it had remained in place. I guess the addition of the cement to the sand put the ants off moving it around.

The other option would be bricks but you wouldn't get the same effect as your picture above.

We did make sure that the edges were very solid (undisturbed earth on the path/patio and curb stones on the drive) so the contents couldn't go anywhere.

Simples (but hard work)

Miles

I have used it in the past on Highway schemes but I thought it was made from a Resin and not cheap?
It will also require some sort of base material too.
Have you priced them out?

Rod

Not yet, thought I would get comments on here first. If people said don't bother with that stuff it's pants, I wouldn't bother getting them to quote.

Si.

Almost nothing at one end, to 18" at the other.
I may use some of the soil dug out to level up behind.

S.

If you are using the won soil make sure it is well compacted and use rubble or subbase material on top. If using slabs you can use a dry sand/cement mix compacted to the required level and lay the slabs directly on top. Brush the cement mix in between the slabs.
If you use bricks make sure they are Engineering ones or Brick Paviours or frost resistant.

Rod

knappers":3v0h95fp said:
Almost nothing at one end, to 18" at the other.
I may use some of the soil dug out to level up behind.

S.

Thanks

And the 18" is that next to the neighbours fence?? if that is so and you raise it, you are in trouble with your neighbour, as you can then see clearly over the fence

Si

The bulk of the cost is labour so if you have the time and feel confident, you can save yourself a hell of a lot of cash.

you say you can't afford slabs but it depends what you are looking at. If you have your heart set on the better range of Marshalls / Bradstone etc then it will be expensive but in the current climate especially, there are hefty discounts to be had from the Jewsons etc of this world, and there are numerous budget slab options available as well.

Doesn't matter what you put down, as long as the base is solid the top surface will be durable and stable.

As said, once the retaining "wall" is in place, any infill you use must be compacted and the best way is to hire a wacker for a week at about £30 - £50 - nothing else will do the job as well as this!
You need a minimum of 150mm well consolidated hardcore and preferably a 25 - 50mm layer of sharp sand. i always lay a layer of geotextile (or weed control fabric) and I always lay the flags using dabs of mortar with solid edges and fully mortared joints (much easier to do than it sounds, just butter the edges of the flags you've just laid and lay the next one up against them).

My reasons for so doing, and I've installed hundreds of patios over the years, is :-
1) fully filled solid joints = no weeds, errosion or cracking of the joint,
2) flag fully supported all edges and can't move,
3) dab method is the easiest way by far of levelling each flag just tapping softly.

Do your sums and you might get a surprise.

cheers

Bob

Lons":j82xf6xq said:
You need a minimum of 150mm well consolidated hardcore
I hat eto argue with an obvious expert, but my patio which I laid 10 years ago is still level and I certainly didn't put down 6" of hardcore, probably only 1 or 2, and then dabs on top.
It's worked for me.

Hi Knappers,
I suggest you look on the website at www.pavingexpert.com.
You will find everything you need to know, and then some, about patios, paths, driveways, imprinted concrete etc.
It is very good and I thoroughly recommend it.
Cheers
Dave

cambournepete":3iruviqs said:
Lons":3iruviqs said:
You need a minimum of 150mm well consolidated hardcore
I hat eto argue with an obvious expert, but my patio which I laid 10 years ago is still level and I certainly didn't put down 6" of hardcore, probably only 1 or 2, and then dabs on top.
It's worked for me.

Can't argue with that Pete but if I'd done that in the days when I used to lay patios and driveways, I guarantee I would have had a number of callbacks. Not advisable if you want to stay in business as the cost of putting right the sub base is horrendous.
Bit like building houses on sand with no founds - some of them will stay up but most will colapse eventually.

if it's for yourself it's slightly differet cos if / when it moves it's only your decision to rectify or live with it. (Wifie could have a say in that of course :lol: )

cheers

Bob

Back