paste waxing table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcjwebb

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, still learning and reading tons of stuff on here, theres soo much :)

basically i notice about the americans using silicone free paste wax for treating the tops of table saws, however cant seem to find anything like the stuff,

i wanted to know if anyone on here could elaborate more.

ie, is it like bees wax?

where is it available in the uk?

Kind Regards

Marc

Just use normal beeswax based wax - when they say paste wax they mean stuff that is the consistency of double cream as opposed to a hard stick sometimes called brushing wax. Wax on, wax off (sorry couldnt resist!)

I use Liberon lubricating paste. As well as lubricating it gives protection from rust.

John

Silicone can affect surface finishes like lacquer, which is why many people, including me, don't have silicone finishes (such as Mr Sheen, for example) in the house.
Liberon is good, as is Chestnut 22. Personally I don't like Briwax. It used to be toluene based, I'm not certain tht it still is, I have a feeling in the back of my mine that they changed the formulation, as toluene is not nice stuff,but I'm not sure. It stinks.
But Liberon or Chestnut will do very nicely, thank you.
S

You don't need anything on the table but a quick squiggle with a candle will reduce friction enormously. Just a 2 second squiggle as and when. One candle will last for years.

That Luberon stuff is ludicrously expensive and completely unnecessary.

Steve Maskery":k99c08ym said:
Personally I don't like Briwax. It used to be toluene based, I'm not certain tht it still is, I have a feeling in the back of my mine that they changed the formulation, as toluene is not nice stuff,but I'm not sure. It stinks.

As it goes: I believe toluene is declarable, and I don't see any declaration on a recent tub of Briwax I have here (if it had, I wouldn't have bought it!). It claims to be made only of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine.

Back