Paslode IM350 has broken down - opinions required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I've been using my Paslode on site now for around 10 yrs.
It gave up the ghost yesterday and when I opened it up, the spindle had sheared on the motor. Now, repairing it myself I'll be round about £100 mark including the vat. (Around a quarter of a new gun)
BUT.
Been looking at either
1. Buy a new Paslode gun and keep original as spares
2. Buy Hitachi NR90GC gun to be different - has anyone got one of these ?
3. Buy Senco 501cl and be really different - has anyone got one of these ?

Now I know Paslode are a known quantity, but are the new rivals really any better at doing the job?

Thanks,
Stephen

deffo stick with paslode, i love mine. If it last 10yrs then it was worth every penny.

Why don't you look into having one sent over from the States. You might be able to get a naked version (no batteries,box or charger) you'll get it dirt cheap if you can and you obviously have all the other bits don't you!!

cheers
jon.

Hi. Stick with Paslode. If it has site use for ten years and the spindle has only just sheared then it has done well :) . Remember the key to keeping impact tools working well is too service the valve section on a regular basis and use brake fluid for the piston section. Paslode have become the 'Hoover' of the impact tool world. But without the special offers :!:

£100 to get it working (hopefully like new)?. Why buy another? Save £300. Surely it's a no-brainer?

Ike

Hi Judder,

The paslode machine is certainly the market leader and a very good machine which the majority of people are happy with.

But people i know who have tried the hitachi have found it better than the paslode. First off the batteries are higher power, 7.2v instead of 6v and the fit of the battery in the machine is far far better than on the paslode (always a weak point with paslode range). The charger is also far more robust than the flimsy paslode one. Although the dimensions and weight are very similar people tend to think that the hitachi is more comfortable to hold and use, party down to the rubber grips on it.

There was an issue with the switch on the first batch of the hitachi's, but this has been rectified and they are now as, if not more, reliable than the paslode.

Why don't you look into having one sent over from the States. You might be able to get a naked version (no batteries,box or charger) you'll get it dirt cheap if you can and you obviously have all the other bits don't you!!

I would avoid buying one from the states as the machines are not identical to the uk ones, they use differnt size o-rings and possibly some other parts may be different too, which wil make it very hard, if not impossible to repair. Also You won't have a warranty on the machine (unless you are willing to send it back to the states if it develops a problem, as is common with this type of 'temprimental' machine) as paslode uk won't touch a US machne at all.

Also as you will be using it on site, a US machine won't be legal as it isn't C.E. stamped.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Thanks for all your comments, esp Matt.
Although the general opinion was to repair the Paslode, I have bought a Senco from Ebay for a bargain. I maybe fix the Paslode in the future or a bit at a time as a spare is alwaysa handy in my book anyway.
Thanks again,

Stephen

hi judder,
i was looking at a the senco on ebay,did you win for £200?
the tool repair shop where i go recommend the senco 501cl to me ,they recon its better than both the passy and hitachi(totally slated the hitachi)it would be interesting if you could revue the senco when you have tried it out,my only resevation is it looks quite heavy compared to the others.
regards steve

Hi Steve, yes it was me - I was surprised to get it so cheap. I had thought about the weight a bit as there seems to be more metal than plastic, but I would be delighted to do a review for the forum.
I found it at £329 at this website, but logged on today and it's gone up to £468 !
http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk.../2405?osCsid=1b90f5758803a6e8d304ba2b96084c6e

Hope it's okay and is up to the job, Im a pretty heavy user and can appreciate the Paslode lasted >10yrs, so I'll just have to see how it goes.

Stephen

judder you`ve done well winning that. i bid and won it a couple of weeks ago for £201 but it didnt reach its reserve.at that price it worth giving it a go and its not as if its a unknown make,senco are one of the best.its great when you get a bargain,last week i won a skil hd 77 worm drive saw from ebay in usa for £40 inc shipping (used)not recieved it yet but the yank framers swear by them. fingers crossed !
regards steve

Had never heard of worm saws, I use my cordless snorter and my speed square for framing cuts, but these look the danglies !.
I have the Senco collated drywall gun and am happy with that, again cordless, but is a wee bit slower than the corded models, but still does a good job.
Will post up how I get on.

Stephen

thanks for the great review stephen,
i think you have made my mind up now to go with the passy,but for £200 i would of certaintly bought the senco like you did.
it will have to wait though as ive just paid my tax bill £560,never seem to get anything back .
regards steve

im cis,not been 714 for years,infact i didnt think they were still going.
i work for a joinery contractor with subs us out to who ever needs chippies.saying that,ive worked for them for nearly 2years and been subbed out to the same developer since i started with them.

Back