Part P and Building Control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
One option for rewiring is to DIY as part of a Building Control Notice for other renovation work. Building Control then arrange for the inspection and testing as part of their service for the fee you paid. You then eventually get the whole project signed off by Building Control and get your completion certificate from them and a Part P certificate...or so I thought.

My local Building Control say that they will send round one of their own people to check out the second fix (no testing) and after talking to me (assessing my experience etc) and having a looksie they will either say fine and then give me a completion certificate (but no electrical test certificate/whatever). If they are not happy then they send round a sparks who does the test. Only they get to see the results unles there is a problem in which case they tell me what the problem is. I never ever actually get to see whatever documentation the sparkie produces.

Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thought I needed the electrical installation to be properly measured and tested?

Or am I covered since they have given me the completion certificate?

What about when it comes to sell the house?

Would a buyer expect to see a Part P certificate or does the Completion Certificate imply compliance?

To close off....he came round with an assistant. She was absolutely gorgeous. About 25 or so and the most stunning long black hair I have ever seen.....sorry, got carried away.

It went like this...

"You're not a qualified electrician, are you"

"No but I was trained as an electronics engineer"

"That sounds OK. Is it RCD protected?"

"Yes...split RCD consumer unit to 17th edition spec"

"Everything bonded?"

"No...used plastic pipe throughout"

Looking at the consumer unit..

"Looks tidy enough. RCDs really make my job easier" [so no concern about derating of cable, crossed rings then....]

Wanders in to ground floor extension and sees downlighter sockets awaiting the painter.

"These need to be fitted with intumescent seals or fire shrouds...flower pots will do"

Thinks....I researched this and I'm pretty sure I don't need to bother.....So play dumb and ask appropriate questions.

"OK...everything looks fine. See you when you;re ready for the final inspection". Departs with absolutely simply scrumptiously gorgeous knuckle-bitingly fabulous assistant.....oops..there I go again.

Quick google. Few phone calls. As luck would have it, the Aurora trade bus was in town so a quick chat with the salesman and yup..as I thought....single storey building...no fire precautions needed for downlighters.

Quick ring the next day to Building Control and speak to a different BCO who agreed....no special requirements !!!

So much for Part P.

RogerS":3mghyh8s said:
Quick ring the next day to Building Control and speak to a different BCO who agreed....no special requirements !!!

So much for Part P.

Hmm, trouble is we are all human and as such dont have computer retrievable memory so interpretations or mistakes whichever you like to call them will always happen. What should happen is that you should be able to have an adult joined up discussion with BC about it, unfortunatly this is not always the case.

Cheers

Mav

Maverick.uk":vdd739xp said:
RogerS":vdd739xp said:

So much for Part P.

Hmm, trouble is we are all human and as such dont have computer retrievable memory so interpretations or mistakes whichever you like to call them will always happen. What should happen is that you should be able to have an adult joined up discussion with BC about it, unfortunatly this is not always the case.

Cheers

Mav

But surely since Building Regulations are clearly set down in black and white then there should not be any room for interpretation?

RogerS":cy3o5y6c said:
But surely since Building Regulations are clearly set down in black and white then there should not be any room for interpretation?

Sometimes there is more than one way of achieving a requirement moreover there is sometimes a requirement in certain circumstances hence the 'interpretation' or 'advise' when it may not be applicable!!

Cheers

Mav

This was actually how Part P was intended to work, by the way.

Many councils (including mine) gild the lily out of fear of liability of approving something they shouldn't.

Jake":31t0rlht said:
This was actually how Part P was intended to work, by the way.

Many councils (including mine) gild the lily out of fear of liability of approving something they shouldn't.

Which post were you referring to, Jake?

My take from all this is that as far as part P of the Building Regs goes then, if you don't use a qualified electrician who will carry out all the relevant tests and actually make sure that the installation is safe, as long as you can convince the BCO that you know what you are doing then they will sign it off and give you your Completion Certificate.

Kind of drives a cart and horses through electrical safety, don't you think?

Also his comment that RCDs make his work easier ...ie if you've got a consumer unit with an RCD fitted then it's safe.. worries the hell out of me.

For example, I'm on a TT supply and this does impose additional complications not least of which is that the Ze needs to be below 200 ohms (IIRC).

The BCO who carried out the first fix inspection didn't have a clue about safe zones or depth of buried cable etc.

The inspection which was intended the BCO should make was intended to be this kind of inspection the BCO himself, not a full test and inspection by an electrician. They aren't experts in the other fields they inspect, but are expected to know enough to spot the warning signs (which includes their faith in you knowing what you are doing!).

Councils understandably got very wary and self-protective about their own potential liabilities for signing off inadequate work, because of the sentiment behind your 'horse and cart' comment.

Back