Paris -recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
Ok Lads - Taking SWMBO to Paris on Wednesday.

Train booked (even though Loughborough to St Panceas is costing more than St Pancreas to Paris :twisted: :twisted: )
Hotel Booked
Louvre tickets booked

Now need recommendations for eating out - both Breakfast & evening.
Costs no object (well y know :roll:) but want to try good stuff where locals go.

RogerS":1u8hprie said:
But whereabouts are you staying in Paris? It's a big city.

Near that big rectangular white thing with the hole through the middle

I'm aware its big but have the Metro, Taxis & Shanks pony available

If you are going to the Louvre I would suggest also going to the Musée D'Orsay. It is a museum housed in a converted railway station near the Tour Eiffel on the same side of the Seine.

It houses the French national collection of Impressionist art and is well worth a visit.

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html

And, if your being romantic, an evening trip on a Bateau Mouche (Water trips on the Seine). You can embark and disembark near the Eiffel Tower.

Paris is easy to move about in - use either foot, Metro or RER.

Have a good time.

This boat trip thingy is on the cards - are they all equally good ??

Musee Orsay is already pencilled in

My good lady and I went May time we had a wonderful time. There is something about Paris and the wide avenues and big open spaces. So better laid out than London.

The only thing to spoil it is the expense. It is madness €8 for a beer every where is conspiracy. Sandwich and a coffee €8, soft drink and frites €8.

However around the Place Pigalle we found a great variety of restaurants that are used by the locals and a great Belguim beer bar.

Have fun

lurker":6prv8vvp said:
Ok Lads - Taking SWMBO to Paris on Wednesday.

Train booked (even though Loughborough to St Panceas is costing more than St Pancreas to Paris :twisted: :twisted: )
Hotel Booked
Louvre tickets booked

Now need recommendations for eating out - both Breakfast & evening.
Costs no object (well y know :roll:) but want to try good stuff where locals go.
Lucky sod Jim, I've never been...but it's on my tuitinig visit list for next year [-o< .
But only in the Spring or Summer. We may well combine it though with a trip to D-Day beaches and/or the WW1 battlefields...throw the bikes on the back of the Landy and do a bit of camping - Rob

Er how long do you have?
Good areas:
Marais District/Place des Vosges, St Germain & Latin Quarter, Ile de la cite (notre dame), Luxembourg Gardens

Historic cafes: Cafe deux Magots, Blvd St Germain and Cafe La Coupole, Blvd Montparnasse
Good for dinner: Brasserie Bofinger, 5, Rue de la Bastille. An old alsatian restaurant that has a lot of choucroute (sauerkraut) dishes but also does good classic french food.
Expensive for dinner: Saveurs de Flora, Avenue George V, Metro George V, its michelin starred and you get a tasting menu, can be a bit fussy for some but it is good food.

rubbish areas imho: Anywhere round les halles or the rue de rivoli, place de clichy where the sex shops/revue clubs are.
The main square in Montmartre near the Sacre Coeur. Full of very bad painters and tourist tat The back streets nearby are pleasant though.

Do: Walk. The city's not very big; or even better hire velobikes. They are a brilliant way to take in the city in its bigger sense.
Don't: bother too much with the metro, its slow and the interchanges are a long walk underground between lines

Enjoy the place I love it there

Latest posts

Back