Parf dogs or rail dogs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doingupthehouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently building an outfeed/assembly table with an integrated MFT style top. Trying to decide between Parf dogs and rail dogs.

The Parf dogs seem more convenient, but I don't like the way the kerf line then ends up over the dog holes. Rail dogs put the kerf between holes, but seem more fiddly in use.
I'm thinking of having some sort of replaceable sacrificial kerf strip let into a housing, so would prefer this between the dog holes.

Interested to hear what others have chosen.

Cheers
Simon

Both serve a purpose in my experience.
Although I use the Parf Dogs more.
Just to add that I know what you mean about the saw kerf across the holes when squaring the rail against the Parf Dogs.
But if you can get over that, the dogs make the set up process very quick and easy.

I got a pair of the rail dog clones off eBay. Fiddly to use (lifting the rail up once in place is a fidget) and the bolts that go into the rail slots don't give snug enough registration for me to trust square alignment (chance of some wiggle room / slop).

Parf dogs OTOH have been great. Very nice quality feel thanks to the stainless steel and snug fit in the holes with an almost vacuum fit. Easy to get out as well... go figure. Aluminium eBay dogs have worked just as well but don't match the feel of the parf dogs.

Thanks for the input,

Looks like a set of Parf dogs need to be ordered! Had a feeling the rail dogs might be a bit of a fiddle.

If anybody's interested in rolling their own MFT style table, I can recommend RS CNC Designs on fleabay. That's where I got my top - 40 quid including six well machined dogs. Didn't expect it to be so good for the money. No association, just a satisfied customer. Pic of top below, I'm building it into a torsion box design.

Still got a long way to go with the table, but it's dead flat and very rigid. Excuse the mess, I'm in the middle of a garage to workshop transformation!

Cheers
Simon

Attachments

• Image 16.jpg
    Image 16.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,829
  • Image 14.jpg
    Image 14.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,829
Paddy Roxburgh":cyhmi8da said:
I just use 20mm conduit that I had in the workshop, never felt the need to buy "proper" dogs
Paddy

Interesting, I just tried it with some 20mm galvanised trunking, but it was a very sloppy fit. Plastic conduit was a good fit but too much flex.

Cheers
Simon

I guess another issue is that if it is multifunctional and will be used for cutting and assembly you don't really want a top for assembly that is covered in cut marks. I like the sound of having a sacrificial piece on hardboard to put under the piece being cut. The alternative would be to cover the cutting surface when assembling on it. Rob Stoakley (Woodbloke) did a build on the Axminster site where he had a second top that covers the cutting surface when the table is not being used for that purpose. May be worth thinking about if it is not too late.

It's a three parter, but this is the link to part 1 if you are interested...
http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/worksh ... le-part-1/

Terry.

Wizard9999":1m2c2hmq said:
I guess another issue is that if it is multifunctional and will be used for cutting and assembly you don't really want a top for assembly that is covered in cut marks. I like the sound of having a sacrificial piece on hardboard to put under the piece being cut. The alternative would be to cover the cutting surface when assembling on it. Rob Stoakley (Woodbloke) did a build on the Axminster site where he had a second top that covers the cutting surface when the table is not being used for that purpose. May be worth thinking about if it is not too late.

It's a three parter, but this is the link to part 1 if you are interested...
http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/worksh ... le-part-1/

Terry.

I had thought about a secondary top - and may do this eventually, although I've go to store it somewhere, which is putting me off a bit. hoping to restrict the kerf to just one, or possibly two places – it'll have a drop down flap to cope with longer pieces. It really will be a multi function table I have a Record 52e vice laying around so will use it as a secondary workbench – in fact will be my primary workbench until I build my main one!

Cheers
Simon

Back