Parasol Rib Replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toplink

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a new parasol yesterday. put it in the cast iron base, went to put the kettle on, gust of wind, parasol on the floor with two ribs broken.

Question. What sort of wood could I make replacements out of bearing in mind that they have to be a bit flexable but strong enough not to break again.

Size of rib is 15 x 22 x 1300 mm

I can't realy take it back as it was my fault it fell over so if I beef it up a bit at the end of the day I should have some decent shade to sit under.

Simon

Ash would be a good choice. Preferabley riven not sawn, but you will have to find a woodsman for that.

Yew would be even better, but not so easy to find.

Cheers
Steve

Wouldn't it be easier just to glue repair them?

Simon,

I made a rib out of a piece of leftover Ash slightly thicker than the original about 18 x 25 mm. Rounded the top and bottom and predrilled holes for connector.
The wire holding the top of the rib around the main post was a problem I had to cut it and replaced it with a piece of galvanised wire.

regards
Jock

Thanks for your replies. I will get some ash and make a new set of ribs, this time a bit thicker and stronger, as Jock suggested.

Glueing them was not an option as the ribs broke across the connecting holes.

Simon

Back