Parallel Clamps - Bessey vs...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking on the Rutlands site and found

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... a+m_dkbc31

I've always wanted a set of 1250-1500 Bessey clamps. But they're £240ish for 4.

The Rutlands are £105ish.

I understand that the clamping force is much reduced (2.5kN vs 7kN). But is the higher value required for our woodworking game?

Anyone used the Rutlands clamps?

What's the difference between the various Bessey versions? KR, KRE, KRV?

Thanks again!

I’ve got both the K body Besseys and the Rutlands ones you linked to. The Rutlands ones are not as robustly built as the Besseys, their cramping heads are smaller and they cannot exert the same ultimate pressure as the Ks but they are perfectly adequate for what most furniture makers need in a cramp. When needed I’ve not hesitated to use them in the past and they are yet to let me down (after two years of ownership or so). I don’t know what the difference is between a KR and KRE but the KRV allows you to reposition the head that is normally fixed on the other variants. You pay quite a premium for this feature which I don’t think is really that useful so I have stayed clear of them thus far.

I have 4 of the Rutlands clamps, I've found them perfectly adequate for any kind of normal cabinet glue up.
As someone on here said in a previous discussion, if you need more force than these can exert then there's something wrong with your joints.

Not used Besseys, so can't compare, but I have the Rutlands ones and they are fine.
I'm pretty sure they were considerably less than £99, though, and when were they ever at £149? I don't understand how Rutlands get away with their marketing claims, I really don't.

The Jet parallel clamps seem to be well thought of but getting them in the UK seems problematic. I thought about ordering some from the US of A but haven't bothered yet.

Theyre ok, i bought a set of the longest ones for a project, but theyre half the price of bessey for a reason, so much so that i bought the besseys a few months later.

Ok for light clamping, but beware the bar bends easy under clamping, so the jaws dont really stay paralell, the plastic is a bit cheap, feels like the handle might snap off if over tightened. For the money they are adequate, but if youve used bessey stuff youd be disappointed.

The same applies to axminsters clamps as well, they may look like besseys but they really dont compare in terms of finish etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tomlt":30j76z0i said:
Theyre ok, i bought a set of the longest ones for a project, but theyre half the price of bessey for a reason, so much so that i bought the besseys a few months later.

Ok for light clamping, but beware the bar bends easy under clamping, so the jaws dont really stay paralell, the plastic is a bit cheap, feels like the handle might snap off if over tightened. For the money they are adequate, but if youve used bessey stuff youd be disappointed.

The same applies to axminsters clamps as well, they may look like besseys but they really dont compare in terms of finish etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I don’t disagree in terms of the comparison with the Besseys as the Rutlands ones are definitely less robustly built. Having said that I wonder what kind of work and rate of duty you are putting them through as opposed to the OP? As a rank amateur I can’t say I’ve ever had to use them in such a way that I was worried they’d break but a busy pro shop owner may feel differently. Also not sure the finish on cramps is much of a big deal, unless the heads are marring the work or the handle is too uncomfortable to torque down on fully (the Rutlands cramps don’t suffer from either of these problems)

I used to have the Rutlands. Flogged them having bought the Bessey clamps in Germany. (I am often in Germany). Bessey are a lot better but it depends on whether you look on this kind of purchase as a long term quality tool investment or a short term cash saving.

Back