PAR Oak price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been Quoted £960 for 6 par american oak boards 2.4m long 50mm x 170mm

SL Hardwoods in Croydon, anyone know who'll do it for an affordable price?

Is that 50mm the nominal size or finished size ? if its finished then its likely to have to come out of 63mm boards. even the 170mm finish is tight from 175mm boards, will probably have to come out of 200mm which you will pay higher for.

Jason

Jason, I've never bought par boards so thought I'd need to do the final dim myself, which is 168 x 45, do the boards normally come perfect? I'm assuming they don't worry about getting rid of sap etc?

2mmx5mm won't be much allowance for sap!

The boards should come ready for final sanding, but may need a bit of straightening up, depends how much straightening up was done before they get fed through the 4 sider.

If you ask them for 168x45 it should make a big difference to the price as that can just come out of 175x50 though 168x44 would be the normal finish size from that nominal. If they are finishing to 50x170 then they will be machining from 200x63 which is about 50% more material.

The question has to be if you have facilities to machine that size why not just by it sawn, 9x2 to give you a bit to play with.

Jason

The size I was allowing was for a little tidying up not Sap, I am struggling for space, hence the par request but having never bought Par did not know the price or what I'm likely to get, banana shaped boards etc.....

I reckon you're looking at just over 4 cubic foot of sawn 2" oak. I'm currently paying around £36 + VAT a cube for 2" AWO

Pick some nice straight boards and machine them yourself.

Or buy the wood and slip a local joiner £100 cash to plane them up!

Brad

jlawrence":1jrxyrqb said:
£960. That's over £200 per Cu ft - seems a tad steep for oak.

Either that or I really should have put the price up on the last lot of 2" i sold :shock:

Buy a 10" by 6" SIP planer thicknesser and some rough sawn oak.

It'll cost around the same overall and you keep and use the brilliant SIP for years (mine is still going strong after around 7 years)

Latest posts

Back