Paper Fire Logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean a briquette press? Have a look on YouTube. There are several videos there that show you how easy they are to make.

I have it in mind to one-day make one of my own, so that I can turn my shavings in to something useful and sell it on for people to burn... Trouble is, they make a mess and, depending on the weather condition and time of year, each 'briquette' can take several days to dry. Apparently, green houses are the ideal place to store them. :)

Yeh but

Do they (bricks made from newspapers) burn OK or is the idea better than the reality

If you profesional lads have tons of wood waste, there is an article in living woods that might be of interest.

I think it burn very quick with a lot of smoke. You need to combine it with real wood I guess.

Hi!

Saw this and thought I'd add my ha'perth.

We made some a few weeks ago, a lot of effort and mess, something for the garden on a warm dry day!

They were left to dry in a shed for a few weeks, three or four I think, the bought in alongside the fire for a week or so.

Burnt well but left a lot of ash when compared to the logs we normally burn.

Martin

I appreciate this can be done with news/wastepaper and card but can planer chippings and sawdust be turned into logs/briquettes without the use of an industrial press

wizer":1h6f7sbp said:
I think it burn very quick with a lot of smoke. You need to combine it with real wood I guess.

Wizer, I appreciate you're going for the 20k mark at full tilt but there has to be some rules on the grammar front during these record attempts.

Deduct one from the score on your last post.

Like Martin says, they do burn pretty hot and for about 45 mins. The secret is to get the paper as mushed up as possible and reduce the air gaps

katellwood":e4o0bq42 said:
I appreciate this can be done with news/wastepaper and card but can planer chippings and sawdust be turned into logs/briquettes without the use of an industrial press

Have a search for some videos on YouTube - there's one guy on there who builds one using a car jack. There's also the Peterson Press (IIRC), which was quite popular on there. Shavings can be used. You just need something like peat to bind it all together.

Suprised Brendan / Bmac hasn't picked up on this he is one of those with a video on YT. His channel is Baconsoda

:lol: Tom, I was sitting quietly waiting to see where this was going.

As Tom said, I have done this. It is possible to make a slurry of newspaper and shavings because the paper fibres act as a bonder and hold the chips together. Compression is an issue and drying (here) an even bigger one. The press I built is time consuming to use but does produce the goods. You just need a few slaves (sorry, willing children) to operate it.

If you can produce heat and pressure you get a more efficient machine but then cost is an issue.

I am working on a compound lever version and that should speed the process up.

Here's my attempt if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY4LUC78YW4

The production is very amateurish but it was my first ever video.

Brendan

wizer":3trvbhou said:
hahah that'll have the environMentalists up in arms :)

Well, I don't really know much about this... :oops: But, I seem to recall that, from one of the videos at least, the guy recommended the use of peat... I could be wrong, it was a couple of months ago.

I wonder is this would work. log maker.
Perhaps mixing wood chips with wet paper might work.
Seems a lot of effort to me though.

Added:
Another one here
I prefer this one as it would make square bricks - thus allowing you to stack them. Drying the things would still be an issue though.

Olly I think Peat burning is\was quite popular.

Just for the record. If I had a solid fuel burner for the house. I'd absolutely be trying everything to make use of my workshop\newspaper waste. It's got to be worth the effort if you can buy big industrial machines that do it.

Tom I do turn all of our newspapers into briquettes, however I usually only do it twice a year because it's such a hassle, I'll save up all the paper and do it in one multi-hour session. It's messy and time consuming and it's a pig drying them, but then you do get solid fuel briquettes for nothing and they do work well.

I have a refuse sack and a half full that need doing now. Hand plane shavings are very good for starting fires and planer chippings and sawdust tend to go to a friend with guinea pigs

This has got me thinking! (never a good thing).

The various presses that have been shown are good but they all seem to be a bit slow and fiddley, IMO.

As I understand it, the more pressure that can be applied, the more air and water that is squeezed out and thus the shorter the drying time and longer the burn time?

The basic design I've come up with (I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before but can't recall where) utilises Mechanical advantage in the form of a 3.5m lever connected to a piston set 50cm from the end. The wood/paper pulp is sloped into the piston and the head presses down on it, forcing water out through the holes in the piston.

logsqueezer1.jpg

logsqueezer2.jpg

If I understand the principal correctly, then me applying my 95kg (15ish st) at the end of the lever (assuming the lever is weightless) should equate to 570kg being applied to the piston? I guess pulleys could be added to the end of the lever for increased effect.

Once the water has been removed, the piston cylinder can be tipped over and the 'log' removed/pushed out from underneath.

It's obviously quite a large undertaking but I guess if you have a lot of waste wood/paper and an open fire .... and room in the garden .... then it could work.

Byrn,

That is exactly the principle I have been working on. The only difference is that I am going to fix a bracket further out from the fulcrum to act as an aid to ejecting the blocks. I am working on a ratio of 10:1 to maximise pressure but siting the work close to the fulcrum is difficult because the end of the lever is so high up but I might have a solution using a swinging arm.

More to come.
Brendan

BMac":31rhqhhc said:
siting the work close to the fulcrum is difficult because the end of the lever is so high up

This could be where adding a pulley system to the end of the arm could help. A pulley on the end of the arm and one fixed to the ground below it. The disadvantage is that you'll be pulling horizontally instead of downwards with gravity.

Another option could be to permanently fix a weight to the end of the lever to apply the pressure and have a pulley to raise the lever in order to fill/empty the cylinder.

I love problems like this. :D

Latest posts

Back