Painting Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I asked this before . . I may have but can't find the old thread if I did.

I bought some WBP ply this week for a workshop unit. Its going to be fine for what I need but I'm thinking it would be nice to give it a good finish with a coat of paint. Plus it'll look nicer than the WBP bare ply.

Does anyone have any top tips for painting it? I'm thinking I'll want a fairly heavy undercoat that I can rub back. On top I'll probably use a matt colour coat. Just looking for suggestions of how to get the best finish and what paints would be best to use.

TIA

A couple of coats of Zinsser BIN will give a really nice base to paint on. Beware though, being shellac based, it starts drying super quick so have to work fast. Have some meths handy to keep brush or roller in top condition.
Hope that helps

Thanks Chippy, just the sort of info I was looking for. Is it something you can thin and spray on? Or does it need to be painted on?

Its really thin as it comes. I would just roller it on but work quick with it. As it dries super fast, if you go over it too much, the roller will just pull it off. Have a tray with some meths in to keep your roller in tip top condition.
Its shellac based and shouldn't fur up the grain too much.

Latest posts

Back