Paint for lime rendered walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

The internal walls in the original part of our house were lime rendered in 2016/17 and on the suggestion of the supplier, Ty Mawr in Brecon, we gave them four to five coats of lime wash. We chose a subtle off-white/grey shade of lime wash, but it failed to fully cover the lime putty so the walls turned out flesh coloured.

The conservation and eco building suppliers I've contacted are either plugging their own products, or recommending Earthborn paints (market leader?).

Does anyone have experience of clay, chalk and lime-based paints; or eco, organic emulsions such as the Auro range? It must be fully breathable, compatible with lime render and preferably not too expensive.

Cheers,
Mark

Cheapest is seciltek mineral silicate from mike wye or lincolnshire lime. Use the primer first

We have like walls here. I've used standard white from a local supplier, and pigmented (buttermilk, I think the name was) from Mike wye.

The white was a lot more watery and required more coats. The Mike wye stuff was thicker, but I still think probably three coats on new plaster.

The local stuff was cheaper and local, so I figure it all about evens out.

I like like wash. You can buy a 5 gallon pot for about the same as a 5 ltd pot of modern paint, but the limewash is easier to apply, and goes further. I much prefer applying it over modern emulsion.

It sounds to me that you simply have not put enough coats on. Really don't buy a small tub. It stores much better than emulsion, so there is no issue with leftover for the future.

If you don't need pigment, can you find a local supplier and just buy from them? Forget about all the branded names - lime is lime.

Selwyn,

I've only ever used the "primer" stuff from Mike wye when painting limewash where it shouldn't really go - ie blending in non lime materials for visual necessity.

What's the point of a primer between limewash and lime plaster?

Julian - I've given up with lime wash after applying nearly 80 litres of the stuff without seeing much change. In fact, the walls are a worse colour now than before.

Selwyn - I'll take a look at your suggestion right away.

Cheers,
Mark

Edit: I've used nearly four 20l tubs, not three, so it's closer to 80l.

I can only assume there is somthing wrong with your product?

Ive used the stuff from mike wye on both lime putty, and NHL. Ive also used it over old white and off white limewashes.

The putty is obviously white, but, with the sharp sand in this part of the country, NHL ends up a similar colour to gypsum - a bit darker probably.

I cant remember ever needing more than three coats, and probably more like two.

Ive not tried using the more watery limewash that i purchased locally over anything other than lime putty. Actually, thinking about it, i used it over some plasterboard also, with mikewyes adhesion promoter undercoat stuff. I cant remember the number of coats, but i would recall if it was an issue, so i assume it was not.

Id say try a different lime wash, rather than give up on it. Like i say, ive found it a nice product to work with.

Julian - the top coat on the walls is Ty Mawr's fine finish putty, which is a similar colour to Multifinsh plaster. The lime wash came ready mixed to order and only needed stirring immediately before use, and then every so often would have another whisk to prevent it all separating in the tub.

It was watery, but as it's the first time I've used lime wash assumed that's correct?

I had a look at the silicate paint suggested earlier and to give the walls one coat of their primer and two top coats it'll cost over £600 with VAT, which is more than I'd like.

Cheers,
Mark

Back