Overboarding a landing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I think lost in translation, I was only overboarding to lay hardwood flooring in a herringbone pattern. With carpet it negates the needed for overboarding as I'll just secure the existing boards in place. Original query was trying to find a solution for a hardwood laid floor on the landing and leave the stairs bare/as just existing

Ah I think lost in translation, I was only overboarding to lay hardwood flooring in a herringbone pattern. With carpet it negates the needed for overboarding as I'll just secure the existing boards in place. Original query was trying to find a solution for a hardwood laid floor on the landing and leave the stairs bare/as just existing
Am I missing something here? If your preference is a hardwood landing just remove existing floorboards and fit engineered (or solid) flooring on top of the joists and then you will be able to stick with the current stair risers with no change. You will still need a doorway solution to accommodate the change in levels to the bedrooms

Yes but only because I've not explained it very well. Ideal scenario is for the landing to match the bedrooms i.e. engineered oak in herringbone pattern and same height. At c14mm thick and due to the pattern this kind of flooring will need a subfloor, i.e. couldn't put straight onto joists. Theoretically I could remove existing 20mm floor boards and play around with a thinner ply subfloor but 18mm won't make a difference whereas 12mm would but I definitely wouldn't be happy with that from a stability perspective. Additionally as you say, will still be fairly decent height difference between landing and bedrooms.

Today I'm going to overboard the last bedroom and tackle the fireplace hearth height issue then will secure the landing boards tomorrow. I'm still undecided exactly how to treat the hearth, for now I can't do anything but board around it (i.e. not over it) with the 9mm but next time I'm at the timber merchants will pick up a sheet of 6mm and play around with a cut out and see how the levels look. If it works will use adhesive to stick it to the concrete.

Hi. Re fireplace. How about boarding up to it. Seal the edge where wood meets concrete, then use self leveling compound to level up to the plywood. The concrete looks a bit out of level so if you overboard I don’t think you’ll get a good match.

Hi. Re fireplace. How about boarding up to it. Seal the edge where wood meets concrete, then use self leveling compound to level up to the plywood. The concrete looks a bit out of level so if you overboard I don’t think you’ll get a good match.
That is indeed a very good solution! Thank you

Glad I didn't try to board it, definitely not level, self levelling concrete will be the solution

20221018_162143.jpg
20221018_162157.jpg
20221018_162211.jpg

Will be over boarding 3x bedrooms with 9mm plywood as well as the landing they share which leads to the staircase. The bedrooms themselves will have engineered wood flooring laid on top of the plywood in a herringbone style. The landing however will be carpeted.

What I can't quite get my head around is how you account for carpet grippers and where the landing meets the top step.

With the carpet grippers on top of the 9mm ply, there is going to be a visible portion of the side of the plywood where the landing borders spindles/top step. I am guessing you leave a small margin (inch or less) so that the carpet can be folded over the side of the ply and stapled in place?

When it comes to the top step, my current thought is to stop the plywood short of the step itself and have another lip, but perhaps better to run the ply right to the edge of the top step and carpet over the lip that way.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense!
Hi, how did you get on in the end with the join at the top of the stairs? I'm in a similar position, wanting to lay plywood before carpeting. I can't think how to get a smooth transition with the top step so the plywood isn't noticeable underfoot. Thanks

Hi, how did you get on in the end with the join at the top of the stairs? I'm in a similar position, wanting to lay plywood before carpeting. I can't think how to get a smooth transition with the top step so the plywood isn't noticeable underfoot. Thanks

How old is the house? Noticing the comment above somewhere about a difference of 9mm being too much, I remembered I measured all the steps and they were all different by at least as much. I removed the top step, raised it a small amount and lapped in the ply on the top floor, the difference is no worse than any of the others.

I've made myself busy with other projects as still not 100% on this. Most likely I won't lay a plywood subfloor and just carpet the landing and stairs. If you only can see the front/stair end of the landing then you can ply the landing and run the carpet over the lip where the landing/stair meet to hide the front of the ply. But if your issue is the same as mine i.e. as you walk down the stairs you can see the side of the landing and therefore side of ply, there is no obvious solution.

Potentially you could run a decorative bead around the perimeter (obviously not the stair portion), high enough to hide not just the ply but underlay and carpet but the doesn't feel a clean solution.

Back