Oven Planks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just listened to the Chris Evens show and there was a bit on oven planks used in baking.

I have done a search and Ceder seems to be the favoured wood. Does any one if other woods can be used.

Sounds like a good use for some off cuts.

jpb.

I've got a Richard Blizzard design for a carved oak roasting platter which I've always meant to try. It's supposed to give steaks and burgers that oak-smoked flavour.

Blizzard says you have to season the wood before use. These instructions come from Blizzard's Wizard Woodwork, written in 1984 :) :

• First, rub it with cooking oil or dripping and a sprinkle of herbs (even garlic if you're brave).

Now put the platter into a cool oven (that should frighten a few woodworkers) and gently increase the heat to gas mark 6 or 400F, and leave it at this high temperature for about 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the platter cool inside. The platter is now ready for use.

Inevitably there will be a few cracks but don't worry as these will stabilise as the cooking oils penetrate the wood. I should stress that it is vital that the wood used is well seasoned and, if possible, kiln dried.

Gill

Back