Oven and Hob on 32A

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Installing new kitchen for a relative and getting to the point where the appliances will soon need fitting.

Property has just had a full rewire and has a 32amp RCBO for the oven and Hob circuit, on 6mm T&E. It terminates into a hardwired cooker outlet.

Said relative has already purchased a 13amp oven (standard plug).

1) How to connect oven to the hardwire outlet? Should a 13amp socket be spurred off the outlet so this can be plugged in? Or cut the plug off and wire directly to the outlet?

2) What's the maximum size hob they can install with said 13A oven. They have seen a hob they like but I've checked and it's 30A 6kW. Is this acceptable? Or should they just pick a 13A hob? If so, like the oven, how should this be connected?

Thanks folks.

'Technically' you should be getting a sparky in to do it, but yes, a 30A 6kw hob (actually a 6kw hob will be 26A) and a 13A 3kw oven will be fine on a 6mm^2 feed with a 32A breaker (they will allow up to 15kw on a 32A/6mm feed combo according to the regs (unless they have changed, don't have a copy of the latest UK ones) as they work on the assumption you will never have every single element on and heating at the same time... (diversity rule)

Fused spur with outlet off the main hardwire point is the preferred option, with the hob hardwired in and the oven in the fused spur outlet...
Remember that on a 6mm you can always upgrade to a 40A as an option IF the cable hasn't been derated (ie running through insulation or buried in plaster lol)- but this should be checked by a qualified sparky before doing....
(as should all of this... seen way too many dodgy installs over the years...)

Personally I would hard wire the oven via a fused switched isolator. And keep the fixed wiring in 6mm all the way into that as the fixed wiring capacity must be matched to the breaker that supplies it.
You don't just reduce fixed wiring where you want without downsizing the supplying breaker first, or adding another protective device in between to limit potential overload on the smaller cable.

That's why I said he should fit a socket for the oven on a fused spur off the fixed wiring point for the hob lol- that way it's all legal and safe...
;-)

I can’t be 100% sure now but a sparky put a new supply in for our oven and it came with a plug top on it.
As I remember he just fitted a surface mount socket on the wall behind the oven.

Back