Outbuildings in Listed Buildings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
We might be moving soon - and the new house is Grade 2 listed
There is a garage and a couple of small outbuildings but nothing big enough for my workshop. My current setup is 16 x 10" and I am planning 22 x 12 or so. I am aware that any outbuilding in the curtilage of a listed building needs Planning Consent. To be perfectly honest I do not have the time, and with my back, the capability to build my own shed so I am looking at getting someone else to design and make it. I want it to be insulated properly and to last for 30 years. Any suggestions as to companies who would do this sort of bespoke thing at a half-reasonable price? I have contacted Warwick buildings http://www.warwickbuildings.co.uk who look like they might be OK but I just wondered if anyone out there had any blinding ideas
Thanks and regards

Talk to your planing officer first. I have a grade II listed timber frame house and thought how nice an oak framed building would be for my workshop. The planners thought differently. I now have a brick built workshop. So find out what they will allow before you commit to far.

the currant thinking of EH is that any new addition to a listed building should not blend in. The Idea is that the general public will not be confused as to what is old and what is new. Check with the planning officer first is always a good Idea

Opinion varies a lot. Sometimes they want it to blend in, other times they want it to look new. What they don't like is something in between.

I can't remember if a workshop is classed as a habitable building but something like a Gym is. In which case it may also need Building Control Approval.

Think about soundproofing.

Back