Our new Workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckbuilder

Reaction score
Is.....

Empty.

We need to kit out our new premises in order to make Fence Panels, Sheds and other related items and I would love some help from you guys who may have experience of this kind of setup.

The workshop is about 15ft wide by around 60 ft long, it has an electric up and over front door, a high box profile roof and is a mixture of stone and brick construction.

I think we will need some kind of racking near the entrance and a bench or 2 to make panels etc on.

( Does anybody have any ideas on making a bench approx 1800 x 1800 to make the panels on ? )

We have a makeshift jig at the moment for this, but I think a bench/jig type will be much easier to work with.

Any Ideas/ advice etc would be great.

Thanks

JD

Because you ask questions that a i wouldn't had expected from a person who is already building panels for a living

If you are making panels now, why do you need tools to kit out a shop

I take it you have already the tools now to make panels
Understand the confusion

My dad used to make sheds in his workshop before he retired. I think his jig was (off the top of my head) 12'x6' as that was kind of the biggest he did as a standardish Wall panel size. Anything bigger he used to build without a jig. For anything smaller he had inserts that he could put in place on the jig to make say an 8x6 shed. It was also on a bearing in the cantre so when nailing frames up he just spun the jig around for each corner and then pinned the barrel board on. He ended up selling it on to a bloke doing the same thing but alot younger than him. It was a really speedy process.

After writing all this i,v just relised (do you mean fence panals) :oops:

Mcluma":28a3v06w said:
Because you ask questions that a i wouldn't had expected from a person who is already building panels for a living

If you are making panels now, why do you need tools to kit out a shop

I take it you have already the tools now to make panels
Understand the confusion

Ah I see, we do indeed already make them, But, our current workshop does not have the space to make the panels " horizontal " the jig is upright against a wall and very user un friendly.

The whole reason for getting larger premises is to expand the business and make space for doing so.

tom owens":1q6ueiff said:
My dad used to make sheds in his workshop before he retired. I think his jig was (off the top of my head) 12'x6' as that was kind of the biggest he did as a standardish Wall panel size. Anything bigger he used to build without a jig. For anything smaller he had inserts that he could put in place on the jig to make say an 8x6 shed. It was also on a bearing in the cantre so when nailing frames up he just spun the jig around for each corner and then pinned the barrel board on. He ended up selling it on to a bloke doing the same thing but alot younger than him. It was a really speedy process.

After writing all this i,v just relised (do you mean fence panals)
:oops:

I meant both Fence panels and sheds mate, thanks.

You dent by any chance have a pictures of this jig table ?

Sounds like the ideal setup to me.

Cheers

tom owens":30wg3ubq said:

After writing all this i,v just realised (do you mean fence panals) :oops:

Being able to rotate the whole assembly sounds like a great time and fatigue saver. Given the room I would definitely look into this as well.

Mick

Deckbuilder":35tp19qz said:
tom owens":35tp19qz said:

After writing all this i,v just relised (do you mean fence panals)
:oops:

I meant both Fence panels and sheds mate, thanks.

You dent by any chance have a pictures of this jig table ?

Sounds like the ideal setup to me.

Cheers

I,m popping to his tomorrow so i,l ask him. Theres a strong chance he wont have any as he,s moved twice since then. It was a pretty simple design, I,l see if he still has any drawings for it to.

I,m popping to his tomorrow so i,l ask him. Theres a strong chance he wont have any as he,s moved twice since then. It was a pretty simple design, I,l see if he still has any drawings for it to.

Cheers Tom, that would be fanatastic.

Thought it was a long shot, All his woodworking photos were left behind at his ex wifes house over 5 years ago. Anyhow he did explain it to me. He is a blacksmith (and welder) by trade so it was mainly constructed from 50x50x5mm steel angle.

The base was a steel pedestal with a 3'x3' frame on top again made from 50x50 angle bar. On top of the frame he found the centre and made a steel ring with a 605mm radius for a 600mm bearing to sit in and turn on. The actual jig sat on top of the turning plate. The frame of the jig was angle steel again with 2' centres for the intermiediets and 18mm ply as a skin.

The full open jig made 12'x6' walls with all the locating holes for gable ends and other standatd sizes.

I know thats not much help but thats the basics of it really. He said it took him 3 days to make and cost him about £650 (that was 10 years ago tho) but the time he saved soon made his money back.
It took to men to move it but you could spin the top with one finger.

Sorry i cant be of anymore help but if you do make one up post a picture so i can show him. :D

tom owens":13kxuco4 said:
Thought it was a long shot, All his woodworking photos were left behind at his ex wifes house over 5 years ago. Anyhow he did explain it to me. He is a blacksmith (and welder) by trade so it was mainly constructed from 50x50x5mm steel angle.

The base was a steel pedestal with a 3'x3' frame on top again made from 50x50 angle bar. On top of the frame he found the centre and made a steel ring with a 605mm radius for a 600mm bearing to sit in and turn on. The actual jig sat on top of the turning plate. The frame of the jig was angle steel again with 2' centres for the intermiediets and 18mm ply as a skin.

The full open jig made 12'x6' walls with all the locating holes for gable ends and other standatd sizes.

I know thats not much help but thats the basics of it really. He said it took him 3 days to make and cost him about £650 (that was 10 years ago tho) but the time he saved soon made his money back.
It took to men to move it but you could spin the top with one finger.

Sorry i cant be of anymore help but if you do make one up post a picture so i can show him. :D

Thanks Tom,

That sounds like a beast of a jig, I can weld, having worked for British Leyland making Buses at the Workington factory many many moons ago.

The cost of the jig may knock the project on the head for the time being though, we need every penny at the moment.

We might have to make do and mend for now till the bank balance improves.

Many Thanks though mate.

Dave

If you are after a rotating assembly table. How about a large conventional table, probably lower than normal. With upturned wheels on the top at the largest radius you can fit. Arrange a peg at the centre to fit a hole in the underside of your assembly deck. Drop deck onto peg and you have a turntable which may not revolve in the draft :) , but would certainly move very easily. You are going to have to keep an eye on overhang, but with an under table say 3/4 of the size of your assembly deck it should be OK.

HTH
xy

Back